Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

No heater in 12g

Donovan

My LFS' NC 12g stocked with corals and one percula clownfish preferred not to use heater in their set up...I suppose the ambient temperature there was at nominal constant range...still would this fly?

artarmon42

If you were a LFS and have enough stock cycling through your inventory, I'm sure you can afford to risk it (after all, it's a business expense write-off).

The sort of temperature fluctuations that can occur to a small body of water (as opposed to the ocean) would not simulate nature, and is likely to cause stress and/or death (IMHO).

stoney waters

I can say that my heater has never clicked on. I believe that the pump generates enough heat to keep the temps above the heaters setting. Keep in mind that although these pumps are only 8 watts or so, they run 24/7. Thus they transfer alot of heat in such a small amount of water. I added a second pump for more circulation and my temps rose off the scale. So much so that I had to install an Ice-probe to keep them down. My temps are now rock steady at 78-79. I still keep a heater in there incase of a pump failure, but keep it set at 76 so as to not compete with the chiller.

dukester48

get a heater.

everything you put in there costs as much as a heater. Is it worth the risk?

bye,

DumbJeff

Archived