Cultivated Reef

Maroon Clowns

HuBu

bought a small tiny maroon (3/4") and then got another one from a totally whacked out fish store (about 1"), the bigger one was totally aggressive with the smaller one taking bites out of his tail and dorsal fin (actually not bites, but chunks). a little bird once told me that in order for two maroons to pair, one must be much larger than the other, this is how the two decide whos gonna be male or female (the larger one of course being the female). so take caution in purchasing two maroons, unless u see them already paired in the store. what im thinking is that the second one i bought was a wild maroon (wasn't eating any of my formula one flakes or formula one frozen) and was overly aggressive. same species too. let me know if u have any luck.

one thing leads to another, then all of a sudden, your in reef debt!!!

yeah i read somewhere online that this guy had tried it. the difference in size was about 65%. after a wk, they started to swim together. maybe ill try that. i m already in reef debt.

Maroon's are the most aggresive clowns, if you want a pair the best bet is to buy a mated pair together. They are a little more $$ but worth it. I love mine 4" female 2.5" male.

Archived