ReefCleaners.org

How can i lower the heat????

benny

I have an Eclipse 6 w/ two 13 w compact bulbs from hallo lights and it's producing way to much heat. My tank is at like 86f. What can i do if anything to lower the heat? I have no heater in my tank. I'm wondering if my little 6w microjet is producing a lot of heat. Anyway, any help would be much appreciated.

Ben

Pumps do product heat, but if your tank only heats up during your lighting hours then it's the lights producing most of your heat.

Try installing little computer 12VDC fans in the top of your eclipse. It will help A LOT.

Yu would need a transformer, or you could probably use a power supply (one of those wall wart things) just make sure it supplies 12VDC and the correct amperage for the fan you get. I think radio shack sells the fans also. You would probably have to do some simple wire spicing..but make it as waterproof as possible. Or you can look around for an AC fan, you can get these at most online electronics sellers like http://www.mouser.com Look around under electromechanical I think...most times they are listed by AC volts and dimensions in mm's. Good luck

They also have AC fans at radio shack. By the time you have a transformer for the DC fan, it will prolly be the same price as an AC fan (DC fans are cheaper....). An AC fan at radio shack will run you like 15-20 bucks... but check online for a cheaper source.... like jackdp said mouser is a good source.....

I like running DC fans with a transformer.

Why? Because I buy the transformer for about $10 and can change the voltage. Also I don't have to have 120V running everywhere in the canopy. Right now I run my fans at only 6V because it is dead silent and I still get good airflow. Another thing is that I can run my fans in parallel and drive more than one fan per transformer. Just make sure to get a transformer that supplies enough current for all your fans.

.....maybe you could use 2 or three fans, throw some timed relays in there and you would have yourself a "windmaker." If a wavemaker, why not a windmaker..would be more natural :P

i've heard that running a fan at lower than rated voltages will cause the fan to pull more current to offset the lower voltage. consequently the fan will run at the same speed and burn out faster. set me straight.

Archived