inTank Media Baskets

SPS that can handle a lot of flow?

redparrotbubbles85

redparrotbubbles85

I have a 10 gallon with a 70w 10k mh. i already have 3 types of acropora and want to add another, but one that can handle a lot of flow. it will be positioned where 2 powerheads flows will meet around an inch from where the coral will go. is there a coral that will be ok in this spot? i had one of the acropora there but it refused to open with all of the direct flow. any posabilities here? i would be very greatful. thanks a lot.

-Mike

Most Acroporas not only can handle lot of flow, it requires it. I guess problem is more of a direct flow because they usually like turbulant flow. Try to position your PHs so that each flow from it doesn't meet head on the acro itself but sort of around it so it will generate very turbulant flow.

I have some acros in direct flow but in couple of days, they seem to adjust. I would imagine as long as flow comes from two different directions it should be ok.

• 2 weeks later...

Acropora Millepora. Mine seem to thrive on being blasted by the current. Plus the long polyps wave around and look cool.

Originally posted by Korbin

Acropora Millepora.  Mine seem to thrive on being blasted by the current.  Plus the long polyps wave around and look cool.

I agree, my Millepora's love to be blasted with flow.

Bob

ReeferMonkey

Third the millepora recommendation. Also, some species of monti will exhibit their best color/growth form in high flow areas.

just not digitatas, my orange grew into the blasting flow and that section now has no polyp extension and grows algae a bt, i moved the flow it got better and grew right back into it ha ha, caps like flow alot more than digitata if it is going to get blasted. the polyps jsut arent as long and can take the extra flow

Archived