Pod Your Reef

Damage's 136 watt 24g nano

DamageInc

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fishfreak,

The coco is pinkish red and white from what I can tell under actinics. Haven't seen him under reglular light yet. He was hiding when I bought him. I trust the place where I got him from though.

Everything was bought at: http://www.tropicalfantaseas.net/

I'll pos the pics tomorrow. For now, how about pic of my plate eating already!!!

plateeating.jpg

Cool. I fed him a combo of frozen mysis shrimp, cyclopeze and phytoplanton in a nice soup. The coco worm liked it as well.

They have metallic green splahes all over them. The pic does not do it justice. This is only after being in the tank for 1 day. 10K light was put on only for a minute to take the shot.

Right now I'm acclimating my rainbow acan enchinata and acan lord. I didn't want to disturb my new stuff.

Nick

12 hour lighting schedule will give you way too much hairy algae (it was my biggest mistake to have such a long photoperiod)--granted it feeds on phosphates and silicates, but I can see that you've already got some growing in your tank. I've come to realize that once hairy algae has taken some growth in your tank they no longer need phosphates or silicates and your best bet (aside from getting lucky with emerald, turbo, lawnmower blenny and scarlet hermits--all of which I've tried)...is manual removal. Since yours is still in small patches I would try to get as many out as possible now.

rbaby, You read my mind. I was looking at my tank and realized I have to start sucking the hair out.

I actually haven't even started the 12 hour photo period since I just put my first corals in yesterday. Probably won't even go there.

My cleaner crew has just started about 3 days ago and they are actually doing a very good job.

By the way, you have a great looking nano.

Nick

Thanks peterk. I plan on doing my best to help them thrive!! My local coral guy has some sick acans, micro's. He had an amazing hot pink micromussa but he would only frag no less than 10 polyps which was a bit more than I wanted to spend.

Hey DamageInc.

Cool looking tank. I'm doing something similar with my lighting. Adding another 72 watts of PC. Are you using 4 fans total in your system? What about the LEDs that came with the nano?

Also wanted to give you a heads up on the Plate Coral. Be very careful with where you place it because it has sweeper tentacles that can extend upto 12-14 inches from it. Most corals that the tentacles touch will get stung and if they are stung often, they will die. I lost a great capnella to my plate hence I'm getting rid of it. I've got a 24g Nano cube.

Dan

danj,

Thanks. I'm only using 2 fans. I replaced the stock fans with startech.com fans. They push about 22 cfm's. I spliced them to a radioshack 12v variable power adapter. I have the voltage set at like 5v and the fans are working no where near top speed. My tank has no overheating problems. I think the 24g has less cooling problems than the 12g.

I did not get the dx model specifically because I didn't want the stock moonlights since they were already hooked up to turn on with the stock lights. I bought the r2 led moonlights from nanocustoms.com. They r2 led really gives a nice blue glow at night.

Thanks for the heads up on the plate. I found out about it's sweeper tentacles last night after I put in the 2 acans. When I read up on the plate I must have missed the sweeper tentacle part or I would not have gotten it. Luckily my water flow pushed the sweepers to the left rear corner of the tank where there are no corals.

What kind of retrofit are you going to put in your tank?

Nick

I am getting bulbs, fixtures, etc. and the original ballast from another 24g DX hood from Caesar777. I am planning on flattening out the existing heat sink and adding the additional 2 bulbs to the existing 2 bulbs. This will give me the flexibility of having dusk/dawn effect with actinics and total 144 watts. I will re-wire the existing or upraded fans to a separate 12v AC-DC converter and the existing LEDS to a 5v AC-DC converter. I send Chris from Nanocustoms an email asking him about purchasing the modded heat sink he has so that I do not have to try bending my existing heat sink. Were the IDs of fans you bought from StarTech.com ID: FAN6X2TX3 ? Chris from Nanocustos also sells fans and I'll probably purchase them from him if he gives me a good deal. I might upgrade the existing fans or might just add two additional fans in the hood (between the heat-sink and the ABS plastic). I'm not too worried about evaporation because I built a 5 gallon auto top-off system for the tank that drips water into it drop by drop.

I am getting bulbs, fixtures, etc. and the original ballast from another 24g DX hood from Caesar777. I am planning on flattening out the existing heat sink and adding the additional 2 bulbs to the existing 2 bulbs. This will give me the flexibility of having dusk/dawn effect with actinics and total 144 watts. I will re-wire the existing or upraded fans to a separate 12v AC-DC converter and the existing LEDS to a 5v AC-DC converter. I send Chris from Nanocustoms an email asking him about purchasing the modded heat sink he has so that I do not have to try bending my existing heat sink. Were the IDs of fans you bought from StarTech.com ID: FAN6X2TX3 ? Chris from Nanocustos also sells fans and I'll probably purchase them from him if he gives me a good deal. I might upgrade the existing fans or might just add two additional fans in the hood (between the heat-sink and the ABS plastic). I'm not too worried about evaporation because I built a 5 gallon auto top-off system for the tank that drips water into it drop by drop.

Yeah, those are the same exact fans. They work well and really crank if necessary. I really don't think you will need more fans. My fans are running less than half speed and I have no temp problem.

Make sure you get a 12 VARIABLE dc adapter. This way you can lower and raise the fan speed if necessary. Believe me it's well worth it. I originally bought a regular adapter but soon switched to variable.

The fans will make alot of noise if run at a full 12v's.

Nick

Had to add these pics to my journal as well. Just added to the tank less than 1 hour ago. Took quick pics under actinics. Will have more pics tomorrow under the 10K and 50/50.

When I say the bigger micro is hot pink, I mean HOT PINK!!!!!

micros1.jpg

micros2.jpg

Damage

Archived