Cultivated Reef

8.5 gallon JBJ Nano Cube

R1

I ordered a 12-gallon Nano Cube DX and received it today. Of course I had to fill it up when I got it. I went to Petsmart and bought some salt and went to Food World and bought 14 gallons of water. I used 8 1/2 gallons of water in a 12-gallon tank. Now to me that is just BS. Not that it makes a big difference. I just thought I bought a 12-gallon tank. I'm glad I didn't buy a six-gallon. I'm a little concerned about the water volume now. Although having an 8 1/2 gallon tank with 48watts is better than having a 12-gallon with 48watts. I'm off to get some LR and LS in the AM.

BTW Did I miss a disclaimer on the box or website?

I used a little less then 9gal also. The watt/gal rule went out a long time ago, it's about depth not gallons, but I know what you're saying, you figure at least 1.5 gal is behind the wall, so your show tank is only 7 gallons. ???

i don't think he means that...i bet the cube is 12g...but wht he's REALLY saaying is that he bought at NC 12 DX (12 gallons) but he only used 8 1/2 gallons to fill it. ~~~~ MEANING...are you ready for this? that his cube isn't 12 gallons (what he wanted to buy) so he's trying to say that 12 gallon nano cubes ARE ACUTALLY 8 1/2 GALLONS~! its another amazing discovery!!!can you say lawsuit?!......

just kidding guys, i have no idea wht this guy is saying.

That is what I'm saying Imafishboy, I bought a 12 and got a 8.5. I know the rule about the lighting. I was trying to be optimistic. I was a little frustrated about the tank size. I wounder what size the 24 gallon is.

The cube holds 12 gallons of water. Your sand and rock take up 3.5 gallons of space...and if you're talking empty, then you just got ripped off. Mine holds ~9gal with sand and rock.

It holds 8.5 gallons of water without LR or Sand. The only thing in the tank is the sponges a heater and the return pump. I'm off to go LR shopping maybe I can find some good rock.

Yes, the JBJ 12 gallon cube is closer to 9 gallons and the 24g is closer to 20.

JBJ calls them 12 gallon and 24 gallon models in order to move into the Eclipse market and be able to say "#1 selling 12 gallon" and soon to be "#1 24 gallon".

Its all marketing symantecs.. The reality is also this...

If JBJ were to declare their true volume, they could NEVER win.

Can you imagine how many 10g AGA & Perfectos have sold the world over??

Chris

yeah when i first set mine up i only bpught 10g of salt water and i still had some left over. but just blamed it on the rocks sand and other filter stuff.

The exterior dimensions of the cube are 16" L x 14" W x 15" H.

(16 inches) x (14 inches) x (15 inches) = 14.5454545 US gallons

Figure the hood is ~3 inches tall:

(16 inches) x (14 inches) x (12 inches) = 11.6363636 US gallons

Still *way* more than 8.5 Gallons

The nano cube has a curved front glass. So your dimensions are wrong. I know how many gallons of water I put in the tank 8.5 gallons. I also know how to calculate water volume. It is still a 8.5 gallon tank.

measure again, because your dimensions are a little off, and dont forget to exclude the hood and remember it's a bow front and not a square so part of your measurements are air.

Friskaburger

Yeah it's around 8 and change. I did the same thing when I got it home. I measured it out and crud.

I know the site is www.jbjnanocube.com To be technical its 15.8 x 13.8 x 14.8 but it still holds 8.5 gallons of water. That’s why I complaining.

manse

Do you have a nano cube? If so what kind of water did you fill it with? RO/DI or tap.

later R1

I have a 12g nano cube DX, 20 pounds of LS, and about 12 lbs of Live Rock.

I filled it with water after I had the LS and LR in there, and the water was in a 20 gallon that I have, so, eyeballing it, it looked like it took the right amount.

Currently filled with tap water, but the algae is looking like it might become a problem so I bought an RO/DI and will be putting that water in there.

For reference:

(15.8 inches) x (13.8 inches) x (11.8 inches) = 11.137974 US gallons

Knocked 3 inches off for the height.

Now, it probably only holds 8.5 gallons of water, you and a couple other people have mentioned that, but according to the measurements I can see how JBJ is getting away with the 12 gallon moniker.

I'm in if anyone wants to start a class-action lawsuit.

Who cares...These are the coolest all in-closed tank on the market. And with the stream line stand with some base mods it looks GREAT!

I agree, they are totally cool!

However, I can see why some might be ####ed off that it really only holds 8.5 gallons of water. But, in a reef aquarium, I don't think there is really that much of a difference between 8.5 and 12. You are still limited in what you can put in there.

Archived