Cultivated Reef

mushroom question/help

ENGINEER

What kind of conditions do mushrooms prefer? I have read mixed reviews about lighting requirements (i.e. low light vs med. light) as well as the required current (i.e. low current vs med current). I have a 5 gallon with 2x13 watt PC with 50/50s from hellolights. The water movement is provided by a mini penguin (media and bio-wheel removed) in the center of the tank. I currently have the mushrooms on the sandbed in a medium current area, and they have not fully expanded. However, I did only get them a few days ago. They just don't look so good. Please advise on the current requirement and whether or not I should move them closer to the light. My goal is to provide optimum conditions for optimum growth. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

My tank is relatively new. My tank is fully cycled, and I added a small cleanup crew before I added the mushrooms. All water condions are in check. The mushrooms were acclimated over a period of about 1-1.5 hours. I cannot remember the exact amount of time.

I'd actually try moving them to an area of less light. With the exception of ricordea, none of my shrooms show full expansion in direct light. If you can get them under an overhang, or a spot with a little shade, they may open up more. Or if you can get them to attach onto a vertical surface they'll get less light as well.

Most shrooms like low light. I have a blue tonga that wouldn't open up, even in the shade. I put it in a nook that looks to get practically no light at all, and now it looks happy.

harbingerofthefish

When I picked up blue zoo's I had the LFS toss in a small shroom that was just sorta there in one of thier tanks. I put it next up to a rock at the bottom of the tank. A couple of days later it had crawled up under a nook in said rock. I haven't seen it for a week or so. I hoping it attached under there and will work its' way up and around. What does it have to do with your question...??? just thought I'd post today :P

Ditto Satchmo's response. I've got many shrooms, and I've tried 'em everywhere. They're happiest under my overhang. They do fine in full light, but don't open as big.

Good luck.....

Archived