inTank Media Baskets

Sea horses!!!

coralcrazy

Tank you for all helping with my last question, i have a 6 gal nano cube with two sea horses, plenty of mushroom polyps and such not, quick question how often should i change the water..don't worry about asking me if they are eating frozen food, they are mysis to be exact freaking awsome, yea so some info and help would be greatly appreciated

Oh, yea umm i also read about dousing the food in zoe marine, how often should i do this, as well as how often should i give them live brine thanks!

reef hugger

Have you checked out seahorse.org yet? What kind of horses do you have? A 10-20% water change per week would be good. Since they are eating the frozen mysis avoid the brine. Brine have no nutritional value to them. What brand of mysis are you feeding your horses? Different brands have different fat contents, which is related to the suggestion that they be fasted on brine. PE mysis are very high in fat compared to Hikari mysis. If you want to enrich the mysis you can do it as often as you want. Selcon and Zoecon are for increasing the amount of lipids that the horses get. If you what to increase the coloration of your horses try Vibrance(sp?). The directions for enriching foods are usually on the bottles.

equinecpa

I hope these are just temporary quarters - a 6 gallon is far too small for these guys. Yikes look how little room they have to swim around in. Please visit seahorse.org and read up. They are a great group - with their help I'm successfully raising Erectus fry (11 weeks old).

Seahorses are not easy under the best of conditions, and I'd hate to see you lose these guys.

Carolyn

phergus_25

yea mostly cone caluperala or gegoronia but little Lr and it needs to be low in the tank. And those are normal sea horses not dwarf so they really need like a 15 or 20 gallon tank. Go to seahorse.org to see what all you need to change. Id just hate to see them die from those conditions.

coralcrazy

wow the guy who sold me them said that they where okay in a nano cube...what a liar, i just got a 15 gal tank that is cycling, will post pictures when complete, thanks for the advise guys

your live rock is fine. Don't know why anyone said that, unless they were under the false impression that these were dwarf seahorses, which clearly they're not. Keep you LR, just get these horses into a larger cycled tank pronto!

BKtomodachi

Entice is like seclon or garlic... a food additive. It might work.

As to live rock... lordy, that whole thing is a rumor/falsely spread problem. Seahorse people are like that... they dont like change for some reason. Even dwarves are fine with live rock. I like to question if hydroids are truly even a problem for them. They arent stupid, you know...

you've clearly never watched your dwarf seahorses die because of a hydroid infestation. Most people don't understand. Dwarf tanks are prone to hydroid infestations because they're low flow and they're supplied with live bbs everyday, which are prime conditions for hydroids. It's not paranoia. But LR with other species is fine.

As far as entice goes, it is questionable. Some doubt whether seahorses actually "smell" anything, in which case an additive would do nothing to stimulate their apetite.

coralcrazy

What the heck is a hydroid infestation, i have a U.V. sterilizer, will that kill those things?

calvin is correct.

A u.v. would probably not help, as they are not necessarily "free floating" but rather usually pop up right out of the rock.

coralcrazy

Are mine dwarf? What should i do to my tank, can i create a fresh water dip for the live rock? I don't feed my sea horses live food, they eat the Hik. Brand Frozen mysis??? I want my sea horses to suffer, they are black seahorses are those considered dwarf?

reef hugger

Your horses are not Dwarves, so you don't have to worry about hydroids. You most likely have either Lined Seahorse(H. erectus) or Brazilian Seaorse(H. reidi). Those are the most common seahorses for sale right now. Live rock does not provide any threat to your horses.

My suggestion is to get a larger tank for them, like a 20+ gallon. Keep feeding them the Hikari mysis and keep up on the water changes.

Here is a pic I took of a hydroid in one of my tanks. It is only about 1-2mm in diameter. They are really small and are very common hitchhikers on live rock. 543hydroid_closeup_2.jpg

Archived