SaltCritters.com

Elegance Coral Question

lgreen

Hi,

I have this awesome elegance coral. I couldn't believe that it actually lived longer than a week at the store, so i had to get it, and it has continued to thrive for another 2 weeks.

My question is, I was reeding in Ron Schmeks, new invert book, that Elegegance corals don't like to be by or be touched by callerpa algae.

I bought a bunch of food, frozen ocean nutrition, formula 1, the and very high protein formula, but upon reading the label when i got home, it says it contains caulerpa.

I was wondering therefore, if it would hurt the elegance coral if i fead it ocean nutrition frozen foods, since they all contain caulerpa.

For now i am just feeding it marine cuisine by SFB, and that seem to be working good. I would like to get it some extra protein though.

any opinions?

thanks.

also, if i feed the fish, the ocean nutrition, is there a risk the elegance coral could grab some of it, and be affected by the caulerpa in it?

Honestly caulerpa shouldnt be used in an enclosed system- ie an aquarium. It's noxious. Eat it, you could die. I'd replace the caulerpa asap with chaetomorpha or someother "nicer" algaes.

Hit up RC and read Eric Borneman's Elegance coral project.

FYI they always live for a week in a store and a months at home. they are hard to keep. You're going to have to put some effort into keeping it and report all findings, good or bad so others can learn. you picked up a coral that needs to have research done on its care.

Also, dont be tempeted to buy a coral to save it. If people dont buy it, it will die in the store and they will be less likely to order it. even if they order it again and it dies, eventually they will notice they arent making money and stop carrying that species. Sometimes wholesalers send replacement corals, EXPECIALLY goniopora and alveapora to fill an order or to add on. this is irresponsible, but still, dont buy the animal. pressure your stores to not carry or put up with replacement corals.

Eric's project is long to read, but seriously if you havent the time to read it, you'll probably not have the time to care for the animal.

best of luck, regardless.

Thanks!

I agree six. This was a little bit of a diff. situation.

So far it appears there is no signs of the elegance disease so far. I will keep an eye on it though.

Looks like I will be needing to get rid of the ocean nutrition food then. Too bad, some had very high protein content. Oh well.

It is not a coral for the beginner. I hope you did your research before you bought it. 99.99% do not make it in a home tank.

Bob

I agree. I hope you aren't calling me a beginner, there's all sorts of bad things that come along with that title.

everyone i know that has bought one, has had their's die, and it wouldn't suprise me if mine does too. Usually i see them die like right away, and so since I saw this one alive so long, I thought maybe it was one of the good ones. I guess we will see.

Anyway, as I am not a "beginner", really I was looking just for info about elegance vs. caulerpa, so please no more lectures, as I have done quite a bit of research, but not found any answers to this specific question yet. I do appriciate your concern and info though, as I had not read that particular thread yet.

If this one does die, I won't ever be wasting my money on one of these again!! I could have bought a couple ORA sps frags for the price!

thanks!

I am definately not calling you a beginner.

It is just that most beginners buy the Elegance not knowing what they are getting themselves into.

I am all for trying to keep a more difficult species. I myself am trying to keep a Fromia Starfish at the moment. Another creature that has less than stealler results. But by keeping one you might get some imformation that would help other reefers.

I applaude you in your attempt. Just know that it is not going to be easy, and the end results might not be pleasant.

Thanks Bobioden, i agree completley.

I am suprised to hear that about the fromia star. We always have very good luck with those at the store where I work. Thanks for the warning though, since i am interested in getting one of those, I will surely look into that a little more! Let me know how it goes for you.

Originally posted by lgreen

would you say the main problem is starving?  or a parasite/disease issue? (for the starfish)

Here is my thread on the Fromia Starfish.

Fromia Starfish

The main problem is staring. No one knows what they eat for sure. The main thing is microalgae from the glass and lr, and the other is sponges. I have alot of sponges growing in my tank so decided to give one a try. Time will tell.

Good luck with the Elegance. A gorgeous coral I HOPE we all might be able to keep someday.

Bob

Archived