Top Shelf Aquatics

Snail/Nudie Thing

MandarinGal

MandarinGal

I posted this in the beginners forum but figured that this could be the place where I can get my answer

Do you guys know what this is? Found him when I was snorkeling. Will he survive? Just want to know whether I should keep him or not :)

He's soooo cute

snail11ep.jpg

snail25zf.jpg

MandarinGal

Thanks!!! Yeah my LFS said I could by some food from him for the little guy. If not I'll put him back :) Thanks for not being rude :)

Originally posted by MandarinGal

Thanks for not being rude :)

most of us aren't rude. crude and playfully immature maybe. :rolleyes:

but you and others shouldn't have to "thank" anyone for being polite imo. there's a difference between playfully immature and just immature.

i saw that exchange you had with fishnphilly in 'beginners'. unfortunately, while there are always some bad apples in the bunch, you also sometimes come across the worms too.

MandarinGal
:) I know tinyreef. Maybe he just didn't understand how easy it is for me to put him straight back if I think i can't look after him

Well actually I dont think there was anything wrong with what fishnphilly said. The fact is you said you found this "thing" while snorkeling or whatever, then asked what it is, what it eats and if it will survive. After he made his comment you claimed to already have known what it was and what its diet was. Why start the id thread then?

It's not the fact that you can just throw it back at any moment it's the fact that you took it out of the ocean with out knowing what it was and its requirements. Doing things like that is not looked highly upon around here or any site for that matter.

I'm not even saying this purely for the animals health, you have to also consider your own when you run into a species unknown to you. What if it turned out to be severely poisonous and you got stung by it? What in the hell would you say to the doctor's at hospital. "Um... I got stung by this wiggly thing in my fish tank.".. How would they give you an antidote?

MandarinGal

Dear 666

After I posted the thread, through another source I actually found out what the thing was. So please don't assume anything thanks. Either way i took proper precautions by not touching the creature. I don't know how it is in the USA but in Australia, we are in some places, allowed to collect creatures from our beaches. I posted the thread to see if you guys could identify it while also looking through other sources. (I thought you guys would also appreciate how pretty he is) And in the meantime my other sources responded first. But thanks for your concern (seriously). I think I'll leave my findings to the Aussie web sites

Originally posted by MandarinGal

Dear 666  

After I posted the thread, through another source I actually found out what the thing was. So please don't assume anything thanks.

How was I, or anyone, suppose to know that you found out from other sources. One second your asking what the hell it is and then next you jump back in claiming you know all the info about it.

Sorry for jumping down your throat and all but you have no idea how many times things like this happen. People with 10 gallon tanks come home with a hippo tang and a mandarin, then come here and tell us about it. They get flamed, then they claim they're both small and the mandarin is readily eating prepared foods so they'll be fine. In a few weeks when both are dead they come back and ask why.

Quite honestly, it doesn't matter what a lot of us think about collecting from the wild because even some retailers get their stock from the wild. You can make your own decision as to either buy them or not knowing this information. Most people are going to do what they want, regardless of flaming, so why not help them and maybe they will see that the animal is not for them.

Archived