Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Extremely fat lawnmower blenny

renichms

In my 20H, I have a lawnmoer blenny. He's pretty big. He's also grown incredibly fat. He does eat some filamentous algae, but not much hair algae. He also eats shrimp pellets, formula 2 flakes, brine shrimp flakes, formula 1 pellets and some staple pellets I have, and he tries to eat Marine Cuisine, but spits it out. Right now, he's getting extremely fat and it has me a little worried. I'm already cutting down on the shrimp pellets I put in and I feed certain foods on certain days (all every day would be WAY too much). At what point is being fat unhealthy for a lawnmoer blenny? He's very active, very interesting to watch and eats well but I don't want him to get overly bloated and die.

My mandarin is slowly plumping up but not nearly at the rate that the lawnmoer blenny is, thankfully.

RN

At least he is eating alot and not too little. I would just continue to do what you have started and cut back a little on the feeding and watch his health. I think as long as he remains active and shows normal behaviour all is well.

Jerome

Thanks. I hope that's the case. The only fish I have that doesn't seem to eat the flake or pellet foods is the mandarin, though he eats Marine Cuisine every time it's offered. I guess I've partially gotten lucky with my fish (though I did do a little training with the mandarin).

RN

Mine ate live mysis shrimp. So I fed it live mysis shrimp. When I noticed it ate the freshly dead and then long dead mysis shrimp, I gave Marine Cuisine a try, since it has mysis in it and the mandarin took to it after only a couple feedings. Now, he eats every single piece of Marine Cuisine that fits into his mouth.

RN

Yours doesn't eat much hairy algae? I got mine for the sake of him eating my hairy algae--he eats a little bit, there's really not much of a food source for him otherwise as I only really feed mysis and he doesn't eat it...I'm hoping that once he clears my tank of the algae I can buy him those tang algae flakes.

Archived