Cultivated Reef

Lots of "bugs"

PFB

My 3 gal is doing fine.

Caulerpa, red macro and coralline algae growing well.

Turbo, hermit and small brown zoos also appear great.

I am going to add some more polyps next and some mushrooms.

Shortly after introducing the Caulerpa – coincidence? - I started noticing (Isopods??) all over the tank. The larger ones are approx. 2 or 3mm in length, the smaller ones, about the size of a pin head, are all over the glass . I am including a picture, some of the white dots on the glass are these bugs. Most of them are translucent and have a bunch of legs.

This is a good thing, correct?

The only reason I ask is that there are so many, do they hatch in large quantities, come out from the LS or LR when conditions are favorable, etc.?

Thanks again.

It's a GREAT thing, but they're very, very, very small. I could only see 'em when I turned off all the lights and shined my flashlight at the screen. (Prior to that, I'd been drinking, and I slipped and hit my head on the fridge, so these bugs are all over the place as well).

Anyway, enjoy them. You'll probably start to get paranoid when they decrease in numbers.

Just keep in mind their population will increase and decrease over time. Many factors cause this, but IMO it's mainly food source issues. Don't worry about any of it - just realize the population will fluctuate.

Archived