Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

cheap stand for 7G mini bow?

TStaut

I'm trying to find something cheap to put my new nano on... like a little bookshelf or something. The wal-mart stuff is complete crap...(compressed particle board) target doesn't seem much better. I figure this thing will weight 70lb or so, and is about 18" long at the base. If the target one was 18" I'd have no prob because the sides would support it, but I don't think rught in the middle of a 24" bookshelf with no support will work.

So, sorry for the ramble... anybody using a workable, cheap stand out there?

Thanks

Travis

I have a 29H sitting on top of an oak file cabnet. It's very solid and doubles as a usable piece of furniture. I don't need a sump so it works just fine. Just an idea.

Target has foldable solid-wood bookshelves in a light finish that support up to ten-gallon tanks no problem. They do run $40 or $50, but they're sturdy and you'll have two extra shelves for your additives, reef books, or another nano. I'm not positive that the tank would fit with the base, but without the base I think it would.

Cruise through the classifieds in the local paper... or check out thrift stores,flea markets or garage sales. There is a plethora of old SOLID heavy end tables for sale all the time... some really cool and BUTT cheap.

I bought a small commode that was painted white for 5 bucks at a garage sale (was gonna just paint if black) but I got to looking at it.... I stripped it and found out the thing was solid walnut. Needless to say the wife commandeered it and is now a prized possesion in her reading room... with a gaw dam quinea pig cage on top of it!... *mumble mumble* Anyway... always good cheap suitable furniture to be had.

Guest AbSoluTc

I bought a small commode that was painted white

There a typo anywhere? Commode, as in toilet? Why is it wood? Maybe I am not getting the correct term here.

Help?

Okay abs... no nano in da potty,...lol

Have a look... this is the kind of stuff I deal with all day, I restore antiques and build/finish reproductions. Cool, huh! The one I bought for five bucks and refinished could go into a dealers shop and probably fetch about 900 bucks... had it not been painted white and the original finish destroyed could easily multiply that number by about 5.

http://www.getty.edu/art/collections/objec...ects/o6115.html

I bought my stand from petsmart for my 7G bow. It was made for a 20gal but I love it for my 7G. It is a perfect fit width-wise, and there is about 2-3" on both sides of the aquarium. IT is the natural wood finish, and it has a cabinet underneath. I have a link to it saved on my computer at home. I'll post it tonight when I get home. It cost $60-something I think.

Mark

Originally posted by AbSoluTc

I bought a small commode that was painted white  

There a typo anywhere? Commode, as in toilet? Why is it wood?  Maybe I am not getting the correct term here.  

Help?

If your tank crashes will you tell people it's in the crapper?

I too have a commode in my living room, only it's solid cherry. :)

I agree with looking for good used furniture, but then I'm into good furniture. One of my favorite places to get used furniture is out of peoples trash. I'll admit it, I'm a dumpster diver, one persons trash is another's treasure.

Lizbeth,

That's it babe! You and me, between all the tools, DIY savvy and dumpster divin'.... what could stand in our way!? Dump hubby and run away with me woman! (It's okay, I already checked with my other half... she said "whatever". Hmmm, guess it's gonna be awhile 'fore I finish that guinea pig cage ;) )

Originally posted by glazer

Lizbeth,

That's it babe! You and me, between all the tools, DIY savvy and dumpster divin'....  what could stand in our way!?  Dump hubby and run away with me woman! (It's okay, I already checked with my other half... she said "whatever".  Hmmm, guess it's gonna be awhile 'fore I finish that guinea pig cage ;)   )

Actually I was thinking the same thing. :blush: A man who knows his commodes. *sigh* Right about now the hubby would probably probably throw in his tools too! :rolleyes:

Meet me in the lounge baaaby.

ROFL @ Glazer and Lizbeth.

Might as well throw my $.02 in. My parents (avid avid oak antiques dealers) told me to come home and check out their stock and that it could easily hold the weight of a 20G reef setup. Me being a skeptic went home to watch my 250# father site on this:

Oak%20Table.JPG

Didn't budge or creak at all.

Anyways I checked out their stock and picked this out for my 10G stand:

Wash%20Stand.JPG

I'm guessing Glazer and Lizbeth can guess what it's original use was. :)

One thing to do with antique wood or any other uneven surface. Get some cork board from Lowes or Home Depot and place it under the aquarium. It will absorb the height differences on the surface and will keep your tank from cracking :*(

Thanks for all the help guys. I was tempted to buy a crapper and put my tank on it just for you commode types, but settled on a Target shelving unit with doors on the front for $23. I have a fish misbehaving in my main tank and eating my zoo’s, so I wanted to set up the tank right away- which I did. Water is circulating today, tonight I’ll add LR and maybe some live sand to my 1.5" of southdown. Was thinking a cube of formula one frozen food to get the cycle going.

Travis

Archived