Top Shelf Aquatics

What Are The Reasons For Putting A Pump In 1st Chamber?

shrum1340

WHAT IS THE REASONS FOR PUTTING A PUMP IN THE FIRST CHAMBER?AND DO YOU PUT IT OVER THE GRATES POINTING DOWN?OR HALF WAY DOWN THE CHAMBER?

I have mine at the top, pushing water through the grate back into the display chamber. Why? Mikeguerrero showed that such a setup creates enough disturbance to break up the surface scum, and slows down water running through the back chambers (which is what you want in a fuge type setup).

As for me, I run that powerhead on a Chauvet Chase Timer (thanks SeanCallan!) that turns the pump on for 1 minute and then off for 1 minute. I find this breaks up the surface scum AND creates a nice random/wavelike effect (which is what corals and especially SPS like).

shao-lin nano

my advanced appologies for being off topic...

artarmon, what's a Chauvet Chase Timer? a diy wave maker? more info please.

thanks

SeanCallan put me onto this (would have never known, not a DJ).

This is what I bought: http://www.music123.com/Chauvet-SF4005-i142477.music

It's basically a device that power cycles to various outlets. Designed for DJ to drive stage lighting, it's supposedly nicer on electrical equipment (I guess it dampens the electricity rather than a hard on and off).

It has a few modes, but the one I use is the simple timer based. You can use 2 or 4 channels. So you can have 2 outlets as A and 2 outlets as B, and then it cycles between A and B. Or you can have 1 outlet as A, 1 outlet as B, 1 outlet as C and 1 outlet as D, and it cycles through A, B, C and D. Cycle times (for each A/B/C/D ) can range from 1 minute to 20 minutes.

For $30, you can't go wrong :)

Originally posted by shrum1340

WHAT IS THE REASONS FOR PUTTING A PUMP IN THE FIRST CHAMBER?AND DO YOU PUT IT OVER THE GRATES POINTING DOWN?OR HALF WAY DOWN THE CHAMBER?

for added flow. ppl usually add a pump in first chamber so they can run 2 powerheads instead of one and still keep the equipment hidden in the back compartment.

u can try to make a hole and connect loc-line tubing like this: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...20&pagenumber=1

or you can just point the outlet of the pump at the grates so it blows water back out.

I like to have it lower so it doesn't affect the flow going thru the grates.

shrum1340

does anyone place the pump pointing down in the chamber for more forced flow and possible better skimming?

Archived