Innovative Marine Aquariums

Walmart Distilled water??

MacnReef

Alright, I used Walmart distilled water on all my aquariums so far for top-off. I am not sure if this may cause a problem, my last tank was up for a few years, I think and I never did a water change X) and always struggled with Algae. On my 10g Nano, things are different :), I do a one gallon water change every week.

My question is, for top-off is it ok to use Walmart distilled water? It is very cheap, like 58 cents a gallon!

Please do not comment on the water changes on my old tank. I did not realize how important it was and I hated mixing the salt. Now, I just by five gallons of salt water a month from my lfs and use that for water changes, cost about $3.50 per month. I realize my ignorance!;)

Guest AbSoluTc

Are you talking about actual 1gal jugs of water that watmart sells under its own name?

Or the culligan machine thats in the walmart?

I have been using culligan water (which is cheaper by the way) from the machine that walmart has. Filler up machine :)

Havent had any algae problems for a loooong time.

i am intersted to know whether or not you had any problems with the tank w/out water changes other tyhen algae. any thing seem to improve in the tank you are doing water changes in?

Well, besides the algae, my corals all did excellent. I had a huge flower pot coral that did great with awesome color, my xenia grow like weeds, and all fish did fine, never lost any.

I use CVS Pharmacy's store brand Distilled or the brand that Duane Reade and King Cullen sell here in NYC. I generally try and haul two gallons every other day to my apartment so I don't ever run out. Wife thinks I'm going to start a meth lab with all the chemicals, test kits and distilled water in the soon to be baby's room.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, the tank I do water changes in has only been up for a short time, so it hard to tell but from what I can remember, my nano is a whole hell of a lot clearer. My old tank was almost green, the water, the walls and filter when I tore it down. B)

I also use the WalMart Culligan machine in the front of the store for my 29g. Works great and haven't had algae problems in a while. I have a 7g and a 5g container that I fill up periodically.

BustytheSnowMaam

I used the WM distilled water for awhile with no algae problems or other, then I read that with distilled they may use copper tubing in the process. I switched to the Wal-Mart RO water after that, still have good results. It's in a jug that says drinking water in big letters, read the fine print and it says "purified by reverse osmosis". Still .58 a gallon.

My .02-

Tasha

Please note that WM doesn't just have one water supplier. Your "Great Value" Wal-Mart brand water could come from several places (two in my general area that I know of).

When I moved I started to use the Wal-Mart water here. Well when I did, I started getting MASSIVE blooms of cyanobacteria.

One bottler was the Tyler mountain water co. The other was the All Star Bottling Co.

The both have the same labels, except the bottler is different. The filtration process is identical.

I am sorry I can't remember right off hand which one gave me problems. The next time I hit Wal-Mart I will let you know.

I have since switched to the RO water from the Culligan RO water machine. Seems my bloom has almost totally gone away as I do more water changes.

I have also used Albertson's Drinking Water with great results in the past and with no cyanobacteria problems. I just don't have an Albertson's close to me since I moved.

Archived