Innovative Marine Aquariums

sucked up into the minijet intake . . .

jcm1229

I've got my 10g running for a week now with just sand and SW. Circulation is with a minijet 404. My LR comes tomorrow. I've added a handful of sand and a couple rubble pieces to help settle down the sand storm. All is quiet.

After cleaning my large tank, I pulled a few pods and threw them in the 10g. In no time they all were in the intake of the powerhead.

Am i just noticing this because there's nothing else in the tank to look at - or should I be concerned with somehow covering the intake - what do you do??

Thanks!

pods are not very strong swimmers and will get sucked into the intake, not much you can do about it. If you cover the intake you will restrict the flow of water, slowing down the current and overworking your powerhead. Once you add the live rock, the pods will have places to hide and should fare a bit better against the intake current.

hehh.. sponge prefilters are great. they serve 3 purposes.

Initial bacterial HIGH FLOW surface area.

protection for impeller/water circulation.

detritus trap.

I wouldnt worry about it. I had tons of pods in my 3 gallon with a minijet 404. When I first started the tank, I used to leave it cranked all the way up so the tank was one giant whirlpool. You know it has adjustable flow, right?

Archived