ReefCleaners.org

Random Thoughts

chvynva916

I don't know what happened to the FAQ that was being developed, but I can think of some stuff that I though might help.

1. Maybe have a section about what "normal" tank and livestock behavior consists of. Something so that a newbie could look at their tank and see if something is wrong. Should my tang be nipping at my clown like that? Should my coral close/open at night? Are my fish sleeping? Stuff that is obvious to the experienced reefer, but might not be for us newbies.

2. Since reefs are always full of surprises, and some are good and some aren't, Maybe have a section about what surprises are common (hitchikers, salt creep, etc.)

In addition, I have been thinking about building my own protein skimmer for my 5g nano. Just examining other skimmers, they seem like they would be very simple to make (just a tube, collection cup, and airstone). What am I missing? Obviously this simple set-up wouldn't have as much contact time, or be as efficient, but seems decent for the $10 it would seem to cost to make it.

Other random thoughts that I would love for you to comment on because I'm kind of new and like to learn:

-My sebae clown (rocky) may be trying to host on my green brain, and seems to be bothering it. It hasn't been fully open in a day or two.

-One of my alveopora heads split into two heads. Seems like a good sign.

-Do tetra tests suck? I have never (even when first set up) seen any detectable amm, nitrates, nitrites. Note: My lr never left the water, my lfs is 5 min away and I had all the lr in bags of lfs water the whole time.

I dunno about green brains (is that some kind of jungle rot? :D ) but my percula clown decided to adopt my xenia, and it stayed closed for a few days too. Then apparently decided it wasn't under attack and came back out.

I never had anything but a brief flash of ammonia in my tank too. I think you experienced the same thing I did...the mysterious disappearing cycle. I started with cured rock too, it left the water but stayed in a cooler for only 15 min on the way home.

Archived