Fishiebusiness

Powerheads and reef creatures

Fishiebusiness

I just put in some more LR for the new 10. This delightful brittle star crawled out, about a cm in diameter. Later on, while looking in the tank, i see the shredded remains of the brittle star spew out of my AC 201 powerhead. How do you all keep small creatures such as this from being killed by PH's?

NanoReefer53

u should have a strainer or a foam block protecting any small creates from getting to close. I have small strainers on mine that keep stuff out.

Son Of Skyline

An easy fix that doesn't affect powerhead flow is to put a single bio-ball on the intake. The sucking action will keep the bioball in place, and nothing will get sucked up!

I know how it feels...I've lost a clown and a whole 3" colt coral frag to powerheads :(

Sahin

Sorry to hear about that.

I have about 4-5 small brittle stars that hitched with my LR.  

I have the Maxi-jet powerheads.  They come with neat little strainers that attach to the intake.  And its possible to further safeguard by putting a bit of sponge into the strainer to keep safe the little little guys.