Cultivated Reef

BB Nanos

dwdenny

Is anyone running BB in there nanos. I was thinking of setting up mine BB but not sure yet. I was thinking of up grading the flow to about 250gph and don't want a sand storm.

theclearblue

I'm sure nanos have had good success with it, but even with the ability to siphon out deitrus and weekly water changes, I don't think BB is nearly as effective without aggressive skimming. Feel free to disagree, it's just an opinion afterall. I tried it and so no real noticable improvements beyond the ability to get some incredible flow without disturbing a sandbed.

Unless you're trying to go hardcore SPS I don't really think it's necessary unless you like the way it looks.

Will not be doing SPS in this tank(not saying that it cannot be done) just not in this tank for me. I have been reading the MH thread though. I won't do that with this tank though. Mainly zoas, rics, and a few other softies. I am just looking at my options here nothing more. I do like the look of the BB as well as the a SSB 1" at most should be good and still allow a little more then 106gph. Was thinking of puttig in a mini-jet 606 or even a MJ1200 in place of the stock pump. hen I could use the stock pump to mix up water for water changes.

Originally posted by dwdenny

artarmon how are the heat issues with the MH in there.

My MH thread is a long read, but there were "lots" of heat issues as I experimented with cooling techniques. Both in the hood (in the form of splashguard warping) and the water (fluctuations of 3-5 degrees in an 8 hour photo period).

I'm pleased to report that those problems were resolved. Hood is cool, water temps move <2 degrees in an 8 hour photo period, and the tank now has better air circulation and oxygen exchange. I'm very happy with the mod.

Originally posted by theclearblue

I'm sure nanos have had good success with it, but even with the ability to siphon out deitrus and weekly water changes, I don't think BB is nearly as effective without aggressive skimming.

I partly agree.

Skimming is definitely effective. I used a Remora on my 16 bow, and once you see how much crap gets pulled out it's hard to ever think of a skimmerless tank as "clean" :x

However, once you've run BB, and see the crap that the rock lets out (which is a different type of crap than the skimmer pulls out BTW), it's similarly hard to ever think of a non-BB tank as "clean" :x

Best bet is to run BB and skimmer, but I haven't found a way to do it without changing the streamlined (stock) look. Until then, BB, regular water changes, fuge and lots of chemical help (Polyfilter, Rowaphos and Purigen) is the best I can do to keep the system clean.

a blue cuttingboard that I cut to fit.

Use a few pieces of cardboard until you get the curve just right, then trace it onto the cuttingboard. Mitre Saw + Bandsaw/Jigsaw = you're done!

I siliconed mine in place but the air ended up getting out from under it anyway, so you might not want to use the silicon.

- Daniel

denny - thanks, I got it at Wal-Mart. Just make sure the one you get isn't advertised as "anti-bacterial" or "anti-microbial".

outtafocus - yes it's on the inside, it's there so that the rock isn't lying directly on the glass

- Daniel

shao-lin nano

sry; above link isn't just for artarmon...everyone check it out!! quite interesting and if anyone has seen better or done better please share!!!

I keep reading that the height of the 12G doesn't allow for enough contact?!? Take some pics Shao-Lin... you make tight-looking mods :)

Actually what I really want is UTR's remora-style...

I have decided to make my 12G semi-barebottom. I have a 340 gallon tank that is barebottom, with a monster skimmer and will never go back. The big difference obviously will be the lack of a skimmer. But I intend on doing regular water changes.

When I say "semi" - what I'm doing is cutting starboard to the shape of my tank, less a couple inches. The rocks will sit on the starboard. Sand will go from the starboard to the edge. This way I can tend to the sand. The rocks will hide the starboard by sitting out over the edge. I will have some flow underneath the rocks pushing the debris out onto the sand.

I love my nano so far. But putting a lot of flow, which I think is crucial to the long term success of a reef is so difficult with a small tank. So this will be my solution. If it doesn't work, barebottom 100%.

artarmon, I wish I had that going on! I've always had problems with corraline taking off :( My tank is still relatively new (3 months) but I am seeing little specks here and there.

I did notice all the corraline in your tank pic, it looks good!

- Daniel

When Coralline takes off, it starts to seriously become a pain.

Here are 2 photos, taken 17 days apart (4/11 to 4/28 ).

MH43-Front.JPG

MH58-Front.JPG

The growth is particularly noticeable on the front-left and front-edge of the starboard.

I mag-clean the glass every day.

If I skip a day or two, small patches start to grow.

MH59-CorallinePatches.JPG

I can't remember my ALK, but my CA hovers between 400 to 430 (using Salifert test kits). I do weekly water change of ~1.5G, using Oceanic salt. Nowadays, with my SPS and Xmas-Rock, I dose ~5ml of B-ionic Part 1 & 2 every two or so days (otherwise the SPS stops growing).

But for my 16G, I don't even dose and it has the same Coralline growth (problem). I think it must be the salt, because I don't do anything else to the water.

not bad, I use NSW and my calk is usually around 360 or so and alk is 3.25 meq/l

I'm topping off kalk right now but just need to figure the right amount/frequency to bump it up.

Archived