ReefCleaners.org

Reverse Osmosis filter: Where to buy and how much should I pay?

ms71171

Tired of luggin jugs of water every weekend.

I hear ya. I recently got a used system from a friend, but just figured out the filter needs to be changed 'cause the phosphates are reading high - which is another reason I've got so much freakin' algae.

I've seen systems for as little as $75, so to answer your question, you don't have to pay alot. I'll look around a bit - if I see any deals, I'll PM you.

Look at Costco if you have one near you. A little under $150 and a years worth of replacement filters for like $35 . Very good unit made by Premier Manufactured Systems in Phoenix. It comes with a 5 stage unit (prefilter,2 carbon filters, membrane and post carbon filter), a tank and faucet for home use.

I looked on Ebay and there are several for around 150-179.00 that filter 5-10 GPD. Not sure whats a good brand or not.

I also looked on Costco's site, which sucked, and could'nt find any to speak of. I will check at the store this weekend. Sams did have the Premier 5-stage you spoke of for 179.00. Not bad.

Christopher Marks

I'll also say beware of the ebay water filter 'deals' out there. The 5 stage systems they sell with two carbon filters instead of two DI cartridges will end up costing you more in replacement filters, and not give you any extra filtration. But hey...5 stages sure sounds better than 4, right? They've got a nice scam there...

Remember, if it's a 5 stage system, it better have to DI cartridges in it, or else you're getting more than you bargained for.

There is a differance between Carbon BLOCK filtration and Granulated Activated Carbon. in a true 5 stage, there should be :

3 round canisters, 1 Carbon Block and 1 TFC membraine.

IN the 3 "rounds" will be a Pre sediment "floss" filter, a "GAC" container, and then a "DI" container.

These then flow into the carbon BLOCK and finaly through the TFC membraine.

http://www.appliedmembraines/com is where my unit is from.

it does 75-100 GPD. came with the mentioned 3 gal reserve tank and shut-off "gooseneck" attachment. I paid 350.00

ALSO get a Pressure Boosting Pump if your water system in your house cant hold more than 45 PSI sustained pressure.

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE LIFE OF YOUR MEMBRAINE.

at this point... ugh... X) Im doing an RODI article/ thread.

:D

Archived