Pod Your Reef

Dirty Sand

LSUtiger

Hello. I recently set up a 7G bow and added LR. My mistake was not rinsing the LR in a separate bucket of salt-water before putting it in the tank. Now, the sand has lots of debris from the rocks. It has started to decay or disintegrate, so it is now a fine powder. I can still see it on the sand though. There is nothing in the tank yet other than the LR and whatever came in on the rocks. I have lots of bugs on the front of the glass. Will this debris eventually disappear or get eaten by the bugs that come in the detrivore kit and/or the crabs or snails that I get as my clean-up crew? Or, should I "start over" by emptying the tank into a separate bucket, removing the sand (at least the top layer where the debris is) and start over? I want the sand to be clean, and I don't mind starting over if that is what it takes. I could re-use the water and most of the sand to where I probably wouldn't have to re-cycle. I'm hoping someone out there has been through this before and can tell me what they did. Thanks for any help.

Mark

I wouldn't bother starting over. If anything just siphon off the stuff. If you have pods on the glass already chances are you also have quite a few in your SB. If I were you I would try to leave the sandbed intact. Your going to have all kinds of different cooties in different layers of the sand.

Tiger,

I'm a fellow LSU'er. I was lucky when putting the LR in my newly-formed nano to not break too much of it. However, in my 55 gallon LR/fish only (forgot the neat-o nano lingo acronym for it), I had chunks of LR all over the place. Siphoning out works pretty well. The gargantuan hermit that I have in there is always reaking havoc, turning over rocks, etc. so I doubt my problem will soon end. Anyways, let me know how it turns out. Like I said, I'm starting my nano now also, we could possibly swap some coral later on. Peace...

b

Siphon it off or just ignore it. I'd siphon anything really nasty that might be contributing a lot of ammonia, but leave the rest. Good yummies for your hitchhiking worms and stuff. You can get a sand cleaning critter or two later to make it all white and pristine, if you like.

thanks for the replies everyone. bautin2, I'm with ya on Henderson for Heisman! Some game huh? I'll post some pics when I start getting some stuff in the tank, and then maybe we can swap some frags. In case ya don't know, there is a Louisiana reef club on yahoo. Most of the people seem to be between BR and New Orleans. Here's the link:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/brreefclub/

Mark

Archived