Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Black Spiny Urchin

Jimbo68

Hi guys - New to NR, great site!

I have had a 29g reef going on 4 years, but I have to break it down for remodeling, and downsize to a 10 nano in my bedroom.

The 10 nano is post-cycle and doing well, but I have yet to drain the 29. Up for grabs (well, for shipping) is a black long-spined urchin and all the caulerpa that anyone wants.

The urchin came as a hitchiker, and it has done nothing but act as my best clean-up guy (he eats more green algae than my turbos). Is he reef safe? He's never harmed anything of mine, aside from toppling small rubble-rocks. I don't know their life-span, but this one is appoaching 4. From tip to tip he's about the size of a tangerine. I have NO clue how to ship him, bagging is obviously a problem. I feel he is too big for my 10, and I hate to just put him down (I know, silly, people eat these things, right?) He is venomous.

The caulerpa? I have no clue why anyone would want it, I have thrown away handfuls and handfuls the past year - maybe those of you with fuges? Otherwise it's gonna dry up in my back yard. It's been a bigger pain to me than anything.

What flavor caulerpa? I'm not sure - it's a green vine with small round "leaves". I can probably provide pics if anyone is interested.

oh, shipping info, i have shiped live items before, in this case for my friend who wants the sea urchin, lucky bastard, lol... you need to get a bag, i think the baging part will work and fill it up with air, get some heater packs and then ship him using nextday shipping, cost you around 40 something bucks... Hope that helped... My caulerpa, do you have a pay pall account, since it is macro algae you don't need to rush it, just put it on priority mail that is it..

if you have some pics please post.

Thank you.

Originally posted by coralcrazy

oh, shipping info, i have shiped live items before, in this case for my friend who wants the sea urchin, lucky bastard, lol... you need to get a bag, i think the baging part will work and fill it up with air, get some heater packs and then ship him using nextday shipping, cost you around 40 something bucks... Hope that helped... My caulerpa, do you have a pay pall account, since it is macro algae you don't need to rush it, just put it on priority mail that is it..

if you have some pics please post.

Thank you.

I gave the urchin away locally since I posted - he was way to spiny to bag!

I agree on the caulerpa, just pm me your addy and I'll mail it - don't worry about the postage. The wife is nagging me to have that the 30 broken down by the end of this week, most likely this weekend. I'll try and post a pic today.

haha nice, are you sure, can i give you some money? I feel bad, well give me as much as you can or think that is enough, my adress is

Rebeca Root

335 Broad Ave.

Leonia NJ 07605

United States

Thanks, give me a heads up with when you are sending it, lol

Nah thats ok - shouldn't be but a couple of bucks and paypal would just keep a chunk of it anyway LOL -

I got your addy - you can edit your post and take it down if you want. I still plan on pulling a clump and taking a pic to post here this evening.

I hope to be taking down the tank tomorrow/monday :)

Here it is for ID if the attach function works (just to be sure it's what I say it is, I ID'd it by internet LOL)- beware, grows like wildfire. Let me know if it's something you want - I think it will ship ok in moist paper towels.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by coralcrazy

did  you send the package?!

No, did you get my Private Message? Shortly after I plucked that bit for the picture I noticed a large patch of red slime cyano growing gleefully in that tank (probably due to the removal of powerheads, and not running my lights regularly).

I'll still gladly send you a quart bag of it if you still want it (I still have your address) if you think rinsing it will prevent a patch growing in your tank.

Sorry you missed the message, it should still be in your inbox here. I should have just posted to the thread. I'll mail it tomorrow (Friday) if you reply that you still want it.

Originally posted by KidCNU

so no more macro algee? j/w cause i just saw post and was like Free ? but if not ah well

Yeah it's free, I was even going to do free shipping (to one person) because only that one person seemed interested :) I can't make that a habit though (the free shipping)

There is still some available (I have procrastinated taking the tank down, this stuff is prospering) - but see my cyano post. (The cyano is NOT on the caulerpa, but I am unsure if it can "spread").

rickbirdman

wow you offered free shipping?!!!! if i can be that one person do you think you can ship me some :)

Originally posted by rickbirdman

wow you offered free shipping?!!!! if i can be that one person do you think you can ship me some :)

LOL no, since coaralcrazy was the only one that wanted some, I was just going to wrap some up in moist paper towels, bag it and send priority mail. I just meant if more people were interested I'd have to charge shipping. I am mailing or throwing away Monday morning:)

Ok - total of three people wanting some now, so I'll mail it monday morning. $4 paypal to jimbo68ATbellsouth.net should cover priority mail USPS. Coralcrazy, you don't have to pay shipping since I told you you wouldn't.

I'll wrap some clumps in moist paper towels, bag and send to coralcrazy, KidCNU and loanmaster.

CoralCrazy and loanmaster - unless I hear from KidCNU before in the morning here is what you guys are dividing. I culled all that was faded, this stuff should grow like a weed (it did for me) if your water is ok. Hope it grows ok for you guys.

Originally posted by KidCNU

i think i'll pass on this deal as i don't have a fuge light thanks tho!

No problem :)

I'll take some... Four bucks for shipping? Five?

Originally posted by Caesar777

I'll take some... Four bucks for shipping? Five?

Sorry Caesar, I mailed it all out this morning. :( CC and Loanmaster, your packages are on their way USPS.

Archived