Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Harliquin help

Galvitron

Is there anyone who has had any success keeping harliquin shrimp? I would like to get one for my new 11 gal nanno reef. I am aware of there specific diet of star fish and Im currently trying to populate my refugium with them. Is there a method to encourage the star fish to multiply?

Ive searched all over but have not really found anything that would help.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

ap:(

It's not really a feasible idea to try to breed them soley for feeding. It is also pretty difficult to breed them and doing in a nano system is even harder.

I've kept Harliquins for years and have always fed them Chocolate Chip Stars. I feed a pair of shrimp 1 star a month and they love it. It lasts 2 weeks or so and they go 2 without one. The max time between food is 4-5 weeks.

So basically my Harliquin food budget is around $3-$5 a month:P

Cameron

I currently have Asterina starfish in the fug, Im not sure if they are the pest of the species. I understand they are fissiparous and devide prolifically. According to "Inverts: A quick reference, J. Sprung" 1 of these little starfish are enough for a whole month! I would prefer to feed them more often then that.

5 bucks for a cholatechip star thats pretty good I was just looking around last night at the LFS and they want $15!

Asterina are probably that one exception to my theory of breeding starfish:D. Harliquins are good contro,for those stars. I really wouldn't recommend trying to breed them (not that it is hard since they just seem to do it at will anyhow:P) because if they get out of hand you could be looking at some dead corals.

I don't personally thing 1 asterina will last them a month though....1 shrimp could eat that in a day. I'd look into the choc. chips like I mentioned. Much better.....but $15 dang:othat's a lot.

Cameron

Well right now the asterina are in my fug that is plumbed to my 65gal. reef tank. And if any of the little guys try to escape they will be turned into fish food by the return pump! :P

Im going to look a few other places to see if I can find a better price on the choclate chip.

BTW thanks for all the info!

Archived