Cultivated Reef

surface film

chvynva916

I get surface film on my 5g nano. In places it seems pretty thick. All other things are good. I don't have a skimmer. Should I worry about it? Try to blast it with a ph. Is it impeding O2 exchange? Is it from my DT phytoplankton?

What do you guys think?

It's from coral waste, foods, chemicals, etc. It's a pretty common film to get. Usually a skimmer will help, more surface aggitation will help, or some form of surface skimmer attachment to your filter would help too.

If it's allowed to build you can have gas exchange issues. Some people even just take a paper towel and lay it on the water surface to "pick" it up.

Cameron

This might help you out . to get rid of that surface skum use a regular paper towel with no ink decos on it or sented. it will soak up the film and leave your tank free of skum. i do this once a day since on of my tanks does not have an overflow

I added a surface skimmer to my setup (like $7 I think) and it was the single best improvement I've made to the system from a "bang-for-the-buck" perspective. Surface is beautiful now.

Archived