SaltCritters.com

Type of coral

SurfOnH20

Trachyphyllia

Open Brain Coral. I have one in a 20 gallon with 250 watt MH. It was under 3x 65watt PC for about three months and didn't expand as full as it does now but it did survive. Feed it mysis shrimp at night twice a week and it will take off in growth.

I think you would be pushing it on the light but if you're planning on upgrading soon I think it would survive until then. $25.00 is a good price! I paid 65.00 for mine at the LFS.

shaggydoo541

Yeah make sure to feed it regularly they have big appetites. I feed mine 3-5 times a week with a combo of cyclopeeze, mysis, and brine. I even fed mine a damsel once.

Okay, it seems like 25.00 is a good deal !! I am going to get it and see how it does. I will be upgrading an additinal 36 watts in about two weeks..that will probably help. When you feed it do you use a turkey baster or something else along those lines? Thanks for the info guys !!

Pat

jenniebutterfly

your lighting that you have is fine for it, no need to upgrade for a brain. i kept mine under 48 watts for a while, then had it at the bottom of my 36 for over a year under 113watts.

Update:

I picked it up late yesterday afternoon..The size was larger then I thought about 3 1/2 inches round. last night as you mentioned the tenticles came out. I gave it some brine shrimp. It closed up soon after recv its meal. That was before the cleaner shrimp got his part of it too. Thanks again for the help and advice..!!

jenniebutterfly

don't just feed brine. brine is like you eating a candy bar every day, not the healthiest of meals for a coral. get some mysis, cyclopeeze, and chopped krill, squid is good, and so is silversides. brine can be mixed in as well.

Archived