Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Spider looking carnivore?

ctdv5000

OK. I have this thing in my newly set up tank that hitch hiked his way in on some live rock I bought. What I saw looked like a quarter size tarantula with brown-tan hairy legs. There were four of them (legs) that crawled out of a hole roughly 1/2" long each. Its legs looked like crab legs and were jointed with a fleshy orange color. He crawled and moved like a spider. I truly didn’t see the body as it was still only part way out of this hole however I did see a turtle like I would assume "head" kind of poking its way out a little above the legs that crawled out. It looked like the neck stretched out with a bald like black color head. I was able to get some pictures but they are a bit blurry for recognition purposes.

This is where it gets strange. I have observed this thing now for about a week never coming more then 3/4" out of this hole. Then one day I came home late and very dark, I turned on the tank light and saw this huge cloud of sand fly up with a trail showing its path. I can only assume it was this creature I saw because I have 1 yellow cromis that was used for cycling, a medium size peppermint shrimp, 20-30 various snails and 10-15 various crabs. I spotted the fish and shrimp immediately and then realized when the cloud of sand settled, he was eating one of my larger scarlet red hermit crabs. He had just started eating the body portion when the light came on. There was also another larger scarlet red crab right next to the one being eaten tucked way back in his shell watching. He didn’t move from that spot for 5 days. That day after this incident I saw nothing however the day after that the crab was finished off. The reason I bring up the second crab is he kept the snails off and away from his buddy.

Pleas help if you can identification if you can. As soon as I spot him in a hole again I will pull that rock to a quarantine tank for further study and better pics. Thanks!

Yikes! I have no idea what that is, but I wouldn't dangle my feet out of the bed . . . good luck - I hope someone has an answer. Since it is obviously an evil thing, it sounds like a small creature, so you may just be able to suck it up with a turkey baster! Works good for bristle worms, so it's worth a try!

I got him! He looks like an Emerald Crab except his body is black with brown/orange legs and tan hair. I have some great pics if interested. I've been told he’s either a Gorilla or Teddy Bear Crab. Thanks!

Archived