inTank Media Baskets

How tough are gorgonians?

janasleah

I have heard that gorgonians require a lot of feeding and can be difficult to keep, esp. in a nano, because it's easy to overfeed or underfeed. What is everyone else's experience?

depends on which one. Ive had complete hell with some, and success with others. Oubviously photosnythetic corals would do better but you would have to watch for alage over growth. Non-photos like the red finger need to be fed about every 2-3 days and sometimes more, or the polyps wont open for a long time. I feed mine crushed flake food with selcon and dose Kents marine phyto and DT's oyster eggs about once a week. The polyps are out most of the day but every once in a while decide to close for extended periods of time. I keep my non photo corals in an unlit tank with a refugium though, so I don't have to worry about alage over grwoth. If they were in a lit tank it would be a good idea to slightly brush the coral for microalgae buildup if the polyps don't open.

Theres more info on www.garf.org

Thanks, Reefsrule! BTW, this is the first time I ever looked at your location....boy, does White Plains bring back some memories! I've flown into that airport sooooooo many times! Used to work for a company based in Pleasantville.....back when I had money and was insane from airline travel :D .

Archived