Cultivated Reef

confused on water change!

SeaFish

i currently change about two gallons of water every week for my 12 gallon tank. i am hearing mix review on what water change is more beneficial.

Which is better?

Changing two gallons of water every week ?

or

Changing two gallons of water every two weeks?

or

Changing one gallon of water on a weekly basis?

What do all you more experience reefers think?

i change a gallon a week on my five. if i were you i'd stick with 2 gallons once a week, unless somebody in the tank indicates otherwise. test your water too, if your nitrates are low-to-zero after a week it usually follows that other pollutants are low also. if they're elevated do the change. if not don't waste your time and stress the animals.

I do about a gallon a week, sometimes more and sometimes I do a half gallon every few days. I basically do a water change when the time is available and the amount will depend on how much I think the tank needs it.

I agree.

Water changes depend on what type of setup you have and how well stocked your tank is. Water changes are done to eliminate pollutants from the water (mostly) and if there are no pollutants, there aren't many reasons why you should, except maybe if there's been a long time since you changed the water. If so, a littlebit of extra fresh water will do good.

Archived