Top Shelf Aquatics

protien skimmer question

RJ

I sent this into the general discussion, but only got one response out of 18 viewers, so I thought I would try this one...

I know it is not too exciting of a subject, but I would really appreciate any input that someone could offer...........

which protien skimmer

I am buying a protien skimmer for my 20 gal high, I am upgrading my tank over the next few weeks, but am the impatient type, so I want to see the affect of a protien skimmer on my 20. I will buy one that I can upgrade to a 40 gal-75 gal. So I am eager to hear recommendations of what works the best. Knowing that it will be in my larger tank I am want to get a good one. I do not need the best, but it doesnt hurt to know which one is considered the best. Being in purchasing for a living, I love to see how good of a purchase I can make.

Do you think it will help keeping anomones healthier?? My clown fish are lonely.

tank age: 6 months..

20 gal high

aqua clear 200

crushed coral

25# live rock

2 clark clowns

1 shirveled up long tentacle anomone

1 blue damsel

1 (small) puffer pather (the kids had to have it)

lots of bristle worms?? must be a good thing

6400K of lighting (I know it sucks)

(and yes.. I know I have a long way to go to good)

Ruth

Thank You

RJ

being that we are all nan-reefers you're gonna get a good opinion on a skimmer for a 20. but the second you upgrade to a 40 or 75 that same skimmer may not be sufficient. For example, the CPR BakPak always gets good reviews here and appears to be a favorite for nanos. even though the BakPak is rated for up to a 60 gallon, i prolly wouldn't rely on it for anything larger than a 30. others will say larger, maybe others smaller. the AquaC Remora skimmer gets wonderful reviews here as well and may be better suited for a larger aquarium, but 75 is prolly pushing it. Berlins and Turboflotors mights be your best bet. Being that i've only kept tiny tanks i don't have so much experience in this area. hope this helps!

> Berlins and Turboflotors mights be your best bet.

Noooooo!!!

Check the posts on these skimmers over at http://wetwebfotos.com/talk (the equipment forum) ...people are getting rid of them.

> the AquaC Remora skimmer gets wonderful reviews here as well and may be better suited for a larger aquarium, but 75 is prolly pushing it.

The Remora can go 20g-75g; more than that, and you want a Remora Pro (40g-120g). Unlike a lot of other companies Red Sea, AquaC's size ratings are actually considered accurate.

I see used Berlin skimmers on eBay fairly frequently. Used Remoras are a much rarer creature. Think about that.

...means more people want to get rid of them, at least. ;)

OR, you could get a small one for this tank and get the Remora Pro later....

I was chatting w/ Dave (ESPI) today, and he had a suggestion for my soon-to-be 29g tank. It's a Queen in-tank skimmer, and it's cheap...all of $20. See the Dec. AFM, p. 68. Dave said he's had his for six years.

Then when you get the big tank, you can hang on to the small skimmer for your quarantine tank.

Archived