ReefCleaners.org

do I need fish to cycle????

JoeyG

I was reading some other threads and seen where other reefers were talking about using damsels to cycle the tank.

I just started a 29gal today with 30lbs of live rock but no fish.

Any info on how to cycle would help:)

Hi Joey,

There are many threads on tank cycling. Just search this site, reefcentral.com or wetwebmedia.com.

To answer your question about cycling with fish, no you don't need a damsel or any other fish to properly cycle your tank. Many people think it's cruel to put a fish through the cycling phase of a tank (I haven't yet formed an opinion). You can simply drop in some fish flakes to help get the cycle going.

Ross

When doing a reef tank or any tank with live rock and/or live sand their is no need to use fish. Like ross said just a little flake food will help it along ok but even that isn't needed.

With your 30lbs of rock it'll cycle on its own and you just need to be patient and let it do its thing.

Cameron

thanks for the help!:)

I'm really exited about my first reef. I put the rock in yesterday and I can already see all types of little critters; 1 hairy little crab?

Theres one little creature I haven't ided. he come out of abig hole in the rock hes about 2inchs long .5 inchs thick dark brown with a bounch of little orange spikes, very slow moving took him 1hour to move 6inchs.

Thanks guys for the help any other tricks of the trade during cycleing would be cool:)

No buddy I sure can't don't have camera.:(

Hes about the size of your pinke finger hes brown with about four rows of orange or tan spikes that run the lenth of his body

I was wanting to find out cause I read that sea slugs are bad for your tank. Its kinda the shape of a slug. Maybe I'll try to foind some pictures of slugs for a positive ID.

Thanks Ross:)

Archived