Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Via Aqua 11g vs AGA bowfront 7g

cranfordrd

Just came back from a LFS, they have the Via Aqua 11g with 2 x 18w PC lights, I really like the look of the tank and the fact that the lighting is built in (no retrofitting) but I have 2 things stopping me.

1- The hood is open, the lights are about 2" off the top of the tank. What are the drawbacks /benefits of an open tank?

2- The tank is tall rather than wide.

I had been thinking AGA 7g bow which is wider but smaller (7g vs 11g) and I'd have to retro the lights. I'm perfectly happy with the 2 x 18w.

Anyway, I'd love to get some opinions about which tank to go with.

IMO tall tanks for reefs are difficult, especially when your dealing with nano's. Rock stacking can be hard and cleaning around the rock, placing coral, or picking up fallen corals can be a difficult task.

I really like nano's to be wider than taller and offer good room for rockwork and corals.

What are the price differences in the tanks as is? Would adding a retro to the 7 bow be more money total than just buying the Via Aqua?

Personally, I'd choose the 7 gallon any day over the Via Aqua.

Cameron

Pricing not really a problem, adding retro lighting would still keep the 7g bow cheaper than the via aqua, I just thought the extra 4g of "space" might make it better, as well as the lighting. I appreciate the feedback, and am leaning to the 7g now! I shoudl just buy the darn thing and get it over with!

Hey,

I've got a Via Aqua, and with 2 cats and 2 dogs, I was very concerned about the open top. All I did was goto Home Depot and buy a $7 sheet of plastic. Used a piece of cardboard and cut a template to fit the tank. Trace the template on to the plastic and cut. Trim to fit and all is good. Took a couple of hours - good excuse to go play in the garage ;)

So far, I like the tank. I have only had it up and running for 2 weeks now. I kept the lights, since mine is a 21 gal, I got the 2x36watt PC - I believe one is 10K daylight and the other actinic. I am new at this, so as I learn more, I may scrap them if I find out that this set up doesn't measure up.

Archived