Innovative Marine Aquariums

Shrimp/Ant like creature 1/4" long?

fishy610

I have found a few dozen (maybe more) ant-like creatures that only come out at night and wander across the sand. They're about 1/4" long, translucent with a brownish skin on top and look like a cross-breed of ant and shrimp (they do have a little curled rear end). They only come out at night (totally non-visble at daytime) and seem to wander around and feed on something on the substrate. I have just one skunk cleaner in my tank and they almost look like it (without the whiskers). Could it be baby shrimp? Some kind of pod? Or just a harmless sand dweller?

Well I'm not a expert by any means, and I"m also very new to reefing. But my tank has the same thing happening, and I was told it was a type of pod. Hope that helps.

I'm just curious as to how often mantis make their poping noise. I sometimes hear a poping, maybe once a day, but I've never seen what's made the noise, and any sight of a mantis. I do have a small clam/oyster (hasn't been id'd), curious if it's that closing. I hope I don't have a mantis.

You know what? Now that you bring it up... I did hear some clicking recently! It sounds like short electric zap and I thought first that it might be evap that hit the bulbs (altough unlikely, because I have a glass hood and the lights have a protective screen as well.

Could it be? *shudder*

Well my popping is not very loud, just enough to get my attention. I'm going to cry if it's a mantis though. The thought of buy about $100 worth of fish just to be feeder food for the mantis is going to be sad.

EtOH_is_good

fishy, you have pods. i don't like the ones that you are talking about because they will chew on healthy zoa polyps.

natejonesis

Shrimp/Ants?? Sounds like amphipods to me. As for the popping sound, don't be paranoid about Mantis Shrimp. I did my first tank recently and I was freaked out when I got my rock about Mantises. Every pop that my tank heater or room air conditioner made I looked in my tank. Truth is they're not that common and if you do get one you're kinda lucky because a lot of people will trade good corals to get one. Hell, they'll come to your house catch it for themselves and then trade you coral.

Or buy yo' bad self a dottyback. ;) They eat mantis for snacks. :) Hehe. You have pods, btw. I always want/need more... The mandarin requires it. ;)

natejonesis

Etoh, you're right. Who would have thought. The larger of the amphipods often do attack zoa tenticles when they don't have to worry about predators. I saw it happen in my tank this morning. I then looked it up on wetwebmedia and sure enough......

EtOH_is_good

yes, hate to have to retract previous statements about all pods being harmless. of course, using all is somewhat inaccurate in most cases.

Archived