Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

What strange creature is this? Got pics...

Sahin

I caught this creature on camera last night.

Its cream white in colour and swims like a water snake-in a squigly fashion.  

its aout 2cm long and about 2mm wide.

I guess it pretty harmless, but I never seen one and it looks like a tiny snake swimming and thats pretty cool to watch.

Let me know what you think.

worm.jpgworm2.jpg

worm3.jpgworm4.jpg

Thanks.

(Edited by Sahin at 6:07 am on June 5, 2002)

Looking at the bottom left pic next to the word thanks, yeah it does kinda resemble the shape of a baby Loch Ness Monster! :)

it does but belive me the loch ness monster isn't like that

it is about 100000 times bigger

I know because I created it!

just kidding

lol

most likely the larval stage of a bristle worm (before they get bristles). they will track a flashlight accross the tank at night and they swim wriggely like that. there are a few different things that go through a similar larval stage. Dorvilleids for instance look really similar to your pic. they are sand bed predators and swim like you stated they are very common in reef aquaria either way they both are prolly in your system.

HTH,

Toy

jjharrisx4

If you look closely you'll notice that the worm does have "bristles" along it's whole body that it uses for locomotion.  I've had one like this, and it was able to swim directly into the current of an 802.  Powerful little devil.  Anyway, I was having such a fun time watching it that I switched on one of my lights to see it better.  The bummer is that the light woke up one of my fish...chomp :-(

Archived