Cultivated Reef

Green Alagae On Glass?

Pattrick Star

Pattrick Star

Hi to all, ok this must be a FAQ but i have to ask it as well. I have 20 snails of types in my 55 gal. and still between them and my scrapper bought from my LFS with scotch brite pad and scrapper on other side i can not get all the green off. After apox. 2 weeks of time it builds up lightly but visible on the glass. I am leaving smart light with coral reef flourescent and black flourscent lighting on for 14 hours per day. Please a little help on anything here would be greatly appreciated, Thanks Pat F.

A few questions first...

1> How many hours are your lights on everyday?

2> What is your light setup?

3> How often are you needing to wipe your algae?

Ok, usually if you wipe your tank once a week and the algae buildup is light this in normal. If your tank is full of algae in 2 days you could have too many hours of light, to much organic waste, too many fish/coral/, or feed to much food.

We need to narrow down your cause of algae to reduce it.

Is the green algae in little discs on the glass or a good haze?

Cameron

tank looks nice. how long have you had it running? (actually that ? had little to do with your problem, just curious)

you'll always have a little algae left on the glass that you'll have to scrape off (magnet scraper- magnafloat). the snails will always leave mouth & foot prints (or whatever they are).

keep an eye on that angel btw. ;) and what do you mean black lighting? do you mean actinic/blue lighting or real black (uv) lighting?

Tank looks ok to me. Since it is a glass tank a razor blade can be used to clean the algae off. It will work very well and cleanly. Juts make sure to be careful around the corners where the silicone sealant it....you don't want to cut through it.

14 hours a day is a lot of light but you don't have an algae problem so I don't see a need to change it.

Just try a razor blade

Cameron

Archived