Top Shelf Aquatics

Brain eating Damsel

shaggydoo541

Originally posted by shaggydoo541

Personal attacks are really uncalled for. You stated your opinion I stated mine so how about you just leave it at that.  

This forum, and all forums, are full of opinions that may be different from yours so if you get so upset over seeing something you don't agree with maybe you should turn off your computer, shut yourself indoors, turn off the TV, and live your life with no human interaction. That way you would never hear or see anything that you disagree with.  You took this pretty seriously, just calm down take a deep breath, and stop putting others down just for having a different opinion.  

just so you understand things...i haven't put you down in any manner of speaking. i've just stated the fact that you are hypocritical and i've stated my opinion that you could have done something more productive/humane with the damsel as food.

btw, you are being hypocritical again. you just asked me to not personally attack you(not that i did, but ok!)...what do you do in your following paragraph?

does the term, 'personal attack' ring a bell? ??? lol.

you didn't really ever state an opinion, btw (perhaps the only opinion was when you said you don't care about a 3dollar fish). you stated a facts. you killed a fish and fed the entire thing to your coral. FACT.

i stated my opinion that you could've done more humane things for the fish and could've gotten a bigger bang for your buck by buying krill to feed your coral rather than the fish. asking if you are dense enough to believe that a fish out of water doesn't suffocate doesn't really hold ground as a personal attack in my eyes. if you thought it was, sorry. i definetly didn't mean for it to appear that way.

anyway, i hope that the next time you decide to suffocate your cat and feed it, in it's entirety, to your dog (instead of just going and buying dog food), you take pictures...i'll love to have this disagreement again. :D

shaggydoo541

Ok next time I suffocate another cat and feed him to my dog I'll photograph it. LOL... nothing personal have a good day yoshi.

lol. awesome! btw, i hope you do realize i wasn't trying to be a jerk earlier...some things just irk me for no reason and this happened to be one of those things. but on a more serious note...take pictures when you suffocate your cat and feed it to your dog. ;)

-danny

Holy ######! I was thinking of starting a thread about breeding black mollies for live reef food, but I think I'll save that one for another day.

• 1 month later...

I think its fricking hillarious! If i'd known that a brain would eat a damsel, I'd bought three brains to feed all of my damsels to. I hate Damsels.

Did anybody ever think that if the coral didn't want to eat the fish (too big)...it never would have taken it in the first place.

If the coral ate it, although he didn't consume the entire fish,

that means to me that he wanted it. We eat many things that we do't finish...apple cores, corn cobs, chicken bones.

So what the heck is the BIG deal!!???

Halfpint....I think its funny that your avatar is a picture of the same fish that was eaten and that you say you "hate"..hahahahaha

If you didn't want the damsel, why couldn't you have returned him to the LFS? Personally, I really like damsels. :) I don't condone the killing of fish just because you don't want it anymore. I do eat fish, and I have no problem killing fish for food. And I also don't mind the killing of fish that are sick, and there is nothing that you do about it. But I also believe if your going to kill a fish to do it humanely. I understand that many of you really don't like damsels. We all have our perferences for fish, but don't be cruel to them just because you don't like them. JMHO. ;)

*stepping off soap box*

Sara

Originally posted by reef-luva

Did anybody ever think that if the coral didn't want to eat the fish (too big)...it never would have taken it in the first place.

If the coral ate it, although he didn't consume the entire fish,

that means to me that he wanted it. We eat many things that we do't finish...apple cores, corn cobs, chicken bones.

So what the heck is the BIG deal!!???

that's not technically a good answer gramps...corals wouldn't EVER get the chance to consume a whole fish in the wild...it's just not a natural food choice at all, know what i mean? i don't think that corals can choose what they eat...so your thought that they had a choice as to what food to ingest is crazy gramps! :D it's not so much an idicator that the coral 'wanted' the food...but more that the coral is an opportunistic feeder and that if food falls onto it, it will ingest it.

i got all bent outta shape with this thread last time, so i'm gonna keep a level head here now. ;)

hahaha...to be an "opportunist", means that one HAS the ability to pick and choose, meaning a certain opportunity. It doesn't mean one takes EVERY opportunity that comes before them. I have seen many fish dismiss things they would normally eat. I also think corals are able to discern betwween things they want and things they dont.

Yoshiod, when I was just a child, like you are now....I thought I WAS the ###### as well. Then I learned that I didn't really know ######.

That coral (once the fish was placed on or near it) made a decision to eat it. Not it's natural food..ok, your right.

But it decided to eat it... did you see the pics?.....

i honestly don't feel that a simple invertebrate such as coral can harbor the cognitive ability to choose what to eat. if you put a dead damsel and a piece of krill onto an open brain(trachy), your logic says that the coral can and will figure out which food they like better and ingest it. my point is this...corals eat what they can, when they can...they are very very simplistic in their nature...if food is available(and they haven't just eaten) they will try to eat. that's not technically showing intelligence, that's showing that they are opportunistic feeders(i.e. if it is there, they will eat it[under the right conditions, of course]).

the biggest problem i have with feeding lps HUGE meals such as a whole fish is this...the coral, if it was able to digest the entire fish, would have serious problems dealing with the damsels swim bladder. the swim bladder could cause air bubbles to form in the flesh of the coral causing necrosis and death. that's what the big deal about feeding a whole fish to a coral(not to mention it's a waste of food...if he had chopped it up it would've been better as the food would've lasted longer and the coral wouldn't have had to deal with one large meal that was only partially digested.)

as for your try at a jab at my intellect... well... it was a good try :D. i'm an english major and, honestly, i remember nearly everything i read...so i definitely know where the facts lie within my statements, whereas it seems your statements are mostly based in the imaginative world of 'what if and maybe'. :D

blah...of course i saw that the brain ate the damned fish...lol. but it still doesn't mean it made the choice to eat it... do you see what i'm saying?

if i don't get back to this tonight, have a great rest of the weekend gramps! :D

Yoshiod...I hear ya big boy....English major huh?

Better watch my punctuation..hahahahahaha, oh, AND my spelling.

Remember, although there are plenty of facts involved in this hobby,

it is still a hobby (turned profession by some)

A hobby not of exact science, filled with opinions and "what if's" and "maybes".

Like I said, I have been in this hobby as long as you have had oxygen in your lungs Yohsiod...and I'm STILL leaning...thanks to people like you and sites like this one.:)....so, thank you!

• 3 months later...
Originally posted by Jeffyer

Holy ######! I was thinking of starting a thread about breeding black mollies for live reef food, but I think I'll save that one for another day.

hahaha soo perfect, nice

Archived