Coral Vue Hydros

Rookie Please Help!!!!!

JoeyG

I'm starting my first nano reef. I have a 29gal tank. I want to get live rock, but don't really know whats good rock or bad rock, if any! I also would like to know what type of sand is best to use. Any info would help. Thanks

JoeyG

since you're in florida i'd suggest gulf view's rock. i'd guess it would be cheaper and they have good growth. fiji's probably the most common.

a lot of what you want to buy depends upon what you intend to raise. once you figure out what you want to raise then you would have a better idea on what you need.

e.g. what spare auto parts would you need to buy for maintenance? that'd depend on what car you intend to have.

invest in a book on the hobby, it'll save you a lot of time and money later. plus you can plan on a more impressive display and understand the bumps that will invariably rear their ugly heads. ;)

I would like to eventually raise some corals, maybe after I get my tank up an running for a while. Also, as far as chooseing rock do some corals do better on fiji compared to gulf or reverse. Anyways I think I mite take your advice on a book for some basic

info. Thanks alot for your reply. I really appreciate your help.:)

Any suggestions on sand????

Corals won't care what kind of rock you have. The only consideration for them would be to have enough of it to keep your water well-filtered.

The big difference between Fiji and Aquacultured Carribean rock is density. Fiji's more porous, but the Gulf-View stuff has more life on it. I'm a Fiji-fan myself, but Carribean rock is very nice. gulf-view.com has a very good 30lb package I believe... that would be a good start for your 29g.

Oh- and sand... if the Home Depot by you carries Southdown sand, this is your best option. You can get a 50lb bag for less than $4. A sandbed 3-4 inches would be good. Check out www.ipsf.com They have a $99 special that will give you all the little creatures you need to populate your sandbed.

Thanks for the info!:) I went to St.Augustine this morning and bought 30lbs of live rock. So I just got finished tonight setting every thing up.??? I used all the instant ocean salt I bought. My specific gravity is 1.019 I know thats low ,but I have to wait till tomorrow to fix it. :*(

The sand I bought this morning is called CaribSea Aragonite-Seaflor special Grade Reef sand 1-2mm.

I hope that will do cause theres no turning back know:P

Any more beginners advice would be helpful, thanks.

Archived