inTank Media Baskets

easy 3 gallon eclipse possible?

daver

I want to do an easy 3 gallon eclipse set up with some LR and maybe some coral or something with 1 clownfish. I want it to look nice, be pretty cheap, and not have to do a ton of diy stuff to get it together. (this will be my 5th tank.)

I can get the base set up for $40, then what else will I need to get? Is there an easy lighting upgrade? thanks

IMO, eclipse tanks are not a very good long term investment

(No offense to eclipse reefers)

if you ever get the tank established, scraping algae off the tank will be very hard, unless you dont care about scratches ;)

i would rather buy a 2.5 gallon glass tank if your looking for something that small...

but if you insist...you can get a 13 watt PC kit from

www.hellolights.com

www.hamiltontechnology.com

www.ahsupply.com

have fun, and good luck

3g would be close for a small clown (too close?) but the bio-wheel allows a significant fudge factor.

you're really limiting yourself on the coral & invert selection tho. i think the best retro you can hope to fit under there may be 2x13w in a staggered postion.

i agree with strife that a 2.5g may be better suited. you may be able to squeeze 3x13w in that config (or a 70w mh, heh heh :rolleyes: ).

it may also be cheaper with a true diy. tank and hob filter should run $20~$30. (2) galaxy lights for another $20~30.

I did it - only because I had a system 3 laying around.

I would agree, long term, better with an all glass.

FYI, I ditched the hood and top-of-tank mounted filter for a piece of glass and a 13 watt combo. (so if you did this, you would be paying $40 for a basic, bow front plastic tank - you could get a 2.5 for what, about $10?)

It's going on a month and so far, so good and the tank looks great. BTW, I have no plans to ever add fish.

Hey guys-

Do you guys have any idea where you can pick up a 2.5 gallon tank online???

Also, what filter and powerhead combo would you suggest using?

Thanks for your help...

Archived