Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Help with my Blasto Wellsi please!

nano_mike00

nano_mike00

Well guys I have had my JBJ 24g running for well over a month now and everything has been settled down for quite some time. The tank looks GREAT. I finally decided to add a coral since all the water params are perfect and I cant stop the coraline algea growth in this tank.

I bought a red rim green center Blasto Wellsi and its now resting on the top of my rock. It is about 7 inches fromt he surface of the water.

Its not that its doing bad it just not fully opening and it has been in there for 2 days now. You can still see the skeleton poking out in between the polyps. Im not sure if the lighting or the current is wrong where its at. I know its not the water nor is it any other corals in my tank messing with it as its the only one in there.

I paid pretty good money for this piece and would hate to see something happen to it.

...any ideas?

blasto wellsi can be pretty sensitive...not a great first coral addition. water may not be established enough for this touchy LPS. also, how did it look at the LFS? never buy blasto wellsi if it looks somewhat deflated/recessed at the LFS b/c chances are it probably won't make it for long (they can be very sensitive to shipping and a lot don't make it the first few days at the LFS).

btw. blasto wellsi prefer lower light. I would move it on the sand - low light and low-med flow - until it looks better. good practice to do this w/ most corals you get for the first few days to a week.

nano_mike00

Tigah, this is my third tank. I have two tanks at home. It's by NO means my FIRST coral but then again im not sure what you meant. First in this tank or first coral in the hobby.

I took your advice and moved the coral a bit lower. I have never had a problem with placement of corals because I have never had alot of light in any of my tanks.

I will see how this one goes. If it doesnt look better by tomorrow i will take it home and put it in one of those tanks.

I actually have mine up at the top of my tank in higher light (18g Via aqua w/ 72W PC lighting), and mine seems to like that positioning much better than on the gravel. I think it depends on if you fluor or MH lighting. Do you feed target yours? Mine eats mysis like a pig, and I think that is important to maintaining a healthy, fluffy blasto. That's my $.02

I think Tigah meant that it shouldn't be the first coral in the tank. I'm assuming this because he went on to talk about the maturity of the tank. ;)

Archived