Pod Your Reef

Any preference on sand?

Wasabi

What sand does everyone use? I'm thinking of some of the CaribSea Aragamax Suger-Sized Sand(Oolitic Select?) for my 5 hex. I only need about 5 lbs I guess. Does anyone online sell it in smaller bags? What about the Kent Marine BioSediment? They have a 6lb package that sounds about perfect. Is this stuff good alone as a substrate? Thanks,

Scott

i didn't know they had a 6 lbs baggie ??? (lying lfs :). just get the 10 lbs. bag imo the aragonite will eventually dissolve and you'll have to add more anyway.

or you may even (gasp) set up another tank?! nah! :P why would you want more than one? :rolleyes:

i usually do some kind of mix for the substrate depending on the eventual desired livestock. more invert-oriented i add larger chips and more fish-oriented i keep fine sand only.

printerdown01

I'm using a mixture of a regular white sand, live sand, and oolite. I love the oolite, and wish I would have done my tank in it from the start (I'm adding it cup by cup). Oddly enough, my clown for some reason has taken to digging holes in the right corner of my tank in the stuff. He seems to be greatly entertained by the task, but I find it annoying everytime I have to fill the hole (not to mention he is messing with my benificial sand bed). I have heard great things about the Carb Sea, but haven't heard much about the Kent brand. Make sure you wash this stuff out REALLY well, or your tank will be cloudy for QUITE some time (expect it to be cloudy for a day or so even if washed well)!

Make sure you wash this stuff out REALLY well, or your tank will be cloudy for QUITE some time

GREAT point. I didn't rinse it, and it was knarly for about a week. :*(

Archived