Top Shelf Aquatics

hermit ID please

daves new nano

daves new nano

i was just wondering what type hermit this is?

i saw one in a reef tank at London Zoo on monday and it was the size of a golf ball, this little guy is only in a shell bout 3/4" across but if hes gona get a lot biger i might have to re home him.

hes my fav tho so i dontreally want to.

cheers

Dave

daves new nano

c'mon folks some one out there must know what type hermit he is, im only askin cus i want to know if hes gona become a pain.

cheers

Dave

BKtomodachi

"left handed" hermit. Not good... I had to banish mine to the refugium for zoo-picking, SPS climbing, and ricordea-sitting.

Yeah it looks like a left handed hermit, sometimes called hawaain left handed. They are generally considered reef safe however. But I always keep a close eye on my crabs, never know which ones decide to be naughty.

Could also be a zebra hermit... My general rule is the more enlarged the pincher, the bigger the *****. Such was the case with my batch.

daves new nano

cheers for the info guys, im gona have to keep a clos eye on him then cus he is a bit of a bully, he beat down on one of my blue legs that was nearly twice his size, riped him apart n sole his shell.

Calcinus laevimanus

http://biomar.free.fr/calcinus/www/laeviman.htm

Generally regarded as "reef safe" (Unless you're Dr. Ron, then no hermits are reef safe ;)). Mainly scavenges and will also eat some hair algaes, and sometimes cyano (not enough to depend on them for cyano removal though, imho).

Friend has one in her 10g tank that, including his properly fit shell, is about 1" dia.

A lot of online stores list Zebra crabs under this name, but all other sites I've looked it up on previously didn't. Beleive zebras are a very close relative though.

Archived