Top Shelf Aquatics

AQ Mini/150 question.

Wasabi

I'm finally setting up my Eclipse 5 hex nano and I want to put a HOB on it(no sponge, just some Purigen probably). The AQ Mini will fit on back fine while the AQ 150 is a very tight fit. Should I go with the perfect fitting Mini or try to squeeze the 150 in. Will the Mini provide sufficient help for circulation? Would the 150 be overkill that I'd have to adjust down anyways? I also have an Aquarium Systems Micro-Jet 320 to help with circulation. I'll be taking out the included 30 gph filter that comes with the Eclipse so I can have more room to install my 2 13 watt PC's(Helios). I'm only going to keep along with some TBS LR, a small clown, 1 fire shrimp, a small cleanup crew and a few softies if that matters. Thanks for any input.

Scott

The mini. I had a mini on my old 7 bow and it was fine by itself. With a 5, a mini, and a small powerhead you'll be set. A 150 would be too much.

Cameron

you'll be more than happy with the aquaclear mini. too much circulation in that tank and you'll be blowing your sand all over tarnations. it still may tank some effort to prevent this. i have a 5 hex and along with the built in filter i use a minijet 404 which is throttled down to about half blast. your light in there will be more than enough for softies! i have a single 13w hellolights 50/50 and my mushrooms and polyps look better than ever (transferred from an 8 gallon w/ 56w of pc). but if i had to do it again i'd opt for 2x13. the hellolights kits are integrated ballast so my hood heated up a ton before i installed a little cpu fan in the side of the hood. looks sweet though and my tank never leaves 77! have fun with it. and shoot questions my way if they come up!

Thanks Twins Guy,

Everyone thought I was crazy to go with the Eclipse 5 hex over a mini bow 7 or other tank but it fits perfect on my desk(the reason I want a nano). I only paid $29 for it, I've got about $50 into the lights, powerhead, mini mag float scraper and hydrometer. So basically for under $100 after I add the AQ Mini, I'll have a cool little nano. Sure livestock is extra but I'd buy that regardless of which tank I got. You make some good points on the heat. I'll add a fan as well. Hopefully, the plastic can hold up and I won't have too much evaporation. I might just go with one light and skip the AQ mini(just use the included filter for circulation help). That would save me making all these mods to the hood. I want to keep this simple. I bought two lights in case I wanted to keep more light demanding stuff. You think I can keep a good variety with just 13 watts? I'm going to make a little TBS LR tower in there, add a small cleanup crew, a fire shrimp and a small clown. I want to keep easier stuff in terms of corals. Thanks again,

Scott

obviously someone here is gonna claim coral abuse, "MORE LIGHT" but IME so far my mushrooms and polyps look better, happier under this lighting setup than much brighter setups. here are my inhabitants: yellow clown goby (but i had a small tomato clown who did just fine in there), red brittle star (that started out about an inch in diameter-now approaching 5!), arrow crab, one unwanted 1" mantis (good luck catching him!), a couple cerith snails, a couple astreas, one small turbo, a small queen conch, 3 small blue leg hermits, 1 scarlet reef hermit, various mushrooms, zoanthids, blue sponge. i'm gonna be adding some small zoo frags and i may give a small colt or toadstool a shot (obviously they'll outgrow the tank). i'd also like to add a coral banded shrimp to keep the arrow in check. i only feed every third day or so, but my water quality is solid, low to neglible nitrates (1 gallon w/c every week), dKH 10+ always, pH 8.2. seems to be working so far but i realize that i'm already really overloading the tank. originally i planned to go with a pod of sexy shrimp but with this bastardized mantis lurking i know they'd make expensive meals. next tank though. hope that answered some questions.

my webcam blows and apparently abuses triple a batteries. it may be awhile. thanks for the encouragement though! one of these days i'll put my tank up in the members section, it competes!

Archived