ReefCleaners.org

Pairing Black Clown w/ Orange?

Brian da lion

Brian da lion

Hey everyone. Lately, I have been thinking of ideas for fish in my new 12 gallon tank, and all the while I have been telling myself "No clowns, no clowns". However, I cannot resist them. So as a means of lying to myself that I am not going along with the crowd, I had decided to get a pair of black and white ocellaris clowns. The only problem is that $60 for two of them seems a tad high. So I thought, why not get one black and white and one orange ocellaris? It would allow me to get something cool and uncommon, while retaining that classic feel. Please tell me if this will work or not. I appreciate it.

I was curious as to the same question. I also had planed to get a Black Clown and a True Orange Clown. I've heard that if you introduce them at the same time, and they're relatively the same size, they'll be more likely to get along. Does anyone else know of this???

I had a black perc and a true perc with no problems that is until my cat got under my hood and had a hankering for sushi. They were both tank raised juveniles and introduced at the same time. They paired without a problem. The 2"x2" hole where she fished the black perc from is now inaccessible so I'm going to get another black perc, smaller than the true perc, without any foreseeable problems.

I forgot to mention, I have found that black perc’s seem to be more aggressive than the true percs. I think you might have better luck if the black perc is not the dominate one. However, each fish is different but this is my experience overall.

To make the orange dominate, yes. The orange will be the female and the black will be male. In clowns the female is the dominate one but, get juveniles (not yet sexed) with the black being the smaller one.

Archived