Pod Your Reef

Cooling a nano

Keng Yew, Leong

Keng Yew, Leong

I went to the LFS and asked about how to cool a nano on a limited budget.So I was reccomended a fan but it's way out of my budget and it's not worth it.It's 115 of my currency.It has 2 fans but my tank is only 4 gallons.Any great ideas to help me cool my nano.It's the lights that are hot.The ballast of the lights burnt my brother's finger when he touched it.Pictures of a small hood with fan(s) are welcomed.

i have a 5 hex reef and i fit a tiny (less than 5cm) fan in the hood easily and neatly. its a small DC computer fan. the whole setup cost me $25 dollars. and its an easy diy project. all you need is the small fan (about $10), 12V AC-DC transformer (about $13) and some small wire connectors (many options for under a couple bucks). not sure what that would cost you to setup out east there but. hope i helped. i may be able to post a pic this weekend when my new camera shows!

pretty sure Keng Yew specified that it was the lights/ballst throwing heat into the tank and yes i've had the same problem...remedied by the fan i explained.

Then what kind of light set up, i mean if it's a DIY jobby he messed up his ballast. If it is an external ballast than take some shoe goo and stick a CPU heat sink and fan to the ballast and wire up the fan like Twins Guy says.

Has anyone tried computer heatsinks? These are especially designed to distribute heat. You'd need to attach it to a surface that's very warm and provides good condutivity (such as the metal of the ballast). Ideally that heatsink would sit outside of the hood so that air from the outside can take away the heat.

Archived