Cultivated Reef

Alright who's got flatworms?

FamousGuy

I found a few of them after adding a traded coral several months ago. I left them alone and they went away. Haven't seen one in months. I'm one of the lucky ones I suppose. Of course the Voodoo Dance of Sterility and the chicken sacrifices may have helped.

I have some on a few mushrooms in my 40 Long. I suck them up with a pippette when Im in the tank. I have had an occasional 6 line wrasse eat them, but they are inconsistant. a FRESH WATER DIP will kill them (90%of the time) within 10 seconds, and only slightly stress any rock and corals temporarily.

Copper always works, but we KNOW that defeats the purpose... :D

I started off with about three flatworms about a month ago. Three turned into hundreds within two weeks.

Did some research on Greenex, and it was a bit too disruptive for my liking (although many on reefcentral.com seem to have good success with it).

Decided to take my chances with a 6-line wrasse, knowing that it's pretty much a crapshoot. I bought my LFS's only one, and the little guy has cleaned the tank out. I see a couple every now and then.

Dave's right, though. He could quit eatin' 'em tomorrow and I'd be out of luck again.

Problem now - he's eaten most of my pods, too. Time for a refugium.

printerdown01

Hey Satchmo, wanna drop by and teach me "the Voodoo Dance of Sterility" you were talking about!?!?!? :P Seriously though I wish mine would magically disappear! I got REALLY close once, but they started multiplying again X) , grumble grumble grumble ... I tried the freshwater dip too (it was convenient as I was going to have to take the rocks appart the next day to move the tank anyway), but some how a few got passed me. Recently they went into a population boom and now they seem to be disappearing again. They have actually never become a problem in the tank, but nevertheless their just knowing that they are there bugs me. Syphoning works well too, almost had them... but I got lazy and didn't syphon for a week. And within that week they multiplied back to their original number or more :woot:. No big deal really, I think I'm going to start leaving them alone as they haven't really caused any harm (surprisingly they stay off my corals).

Everyone on RC seems to be using that greenex stuff, but it sounds way too risky to me......especially if the Flatworms are harmless. I just got a new mushroom rock a few days ago and it looked ok at the LFS(blue striped shrooms, couldnt resist them) and of course the next day the rock was covered with red flatworms, i did a freshwater dip and that killed most of them, i've only seen about 3 in the tank since then. I never thought i'd have pests in my tank, now you name it, it's in there........i even found a couple mojano and zapped 'em the other night with boiling salt mix and then b-ionic calcium. They completely melted....lets hope it stays that way

Archived