Innovative Marine Aquariums

How to get rid of Mardel CopperSafe

A4Nano

What are some ways that people rid their tank(s) of Mardel's Coppersafe, which has now bleeched my coraline after three weeks of treatment. Will the coraline surive or am I doomed to re-cycle the tank?

I was thinking about doing water changes and adding active carbon to the HOB.

What are your experiences with life after Coppersafe treatment, and how did you rid the water of the treatment?

ndfootball5489

Best thing to do, is do water changes. Regular water changes will dilute it when you add the new salt water. You could also run, I believe Seachem's Cuprisorb and that will help remove it. IMHO if you are going to do a reef tank, no matter what NEVER use copper. It will kill all coraline, corals, inverts, everything you will find interesting other than fish. But if anything do water changes and i wouldn't worry to much about the carbon but run cuprisorb.

Great,

I'll hit up the water changes. Any reason why they call it "CopperSafe", when its not safe. I did sell the mushroom back to a LFS, and the hermit has lasted through the treatment. Should I wait another week, or start dilluting it. The treatment last for 4 weeks, but the fish died after one week. And its now been 3 weeks of treatment. Coppersafe cured the Ich, but fin/tail rot got the poor damsel in distress.

ndfootball5489

Hold on, does the product actually contain copper? I am not sure why they would call it copper safe unless it is safer than other ways of dosing copper to your tank. But i don't think that it can be very dangerous treating your tank with copper. So i don't know.

So the CopperSafe medicine says it contains-"chelated copper sulfate".

Dictionary.com says chelated = "n. Chemistry

A chemical compound in the form of a heterocyclic ring, containing a metal ion attached by coordinate bonds to at least two nonmetal ions."

I guess it still contains copper, and I have read on NanoReef.com that copper can get into the silicon within the edges of the tank and almost impossible to get out. Any one have a success story with stuff growing after a copper treatment?

• 4 weeks later...

to start, coppersafe is a copper treatment.

as for removing it, do a few water changes and run carbon. that should get ride of the copper. you can get a test kit to test the water and continue water changes until the kit reads zero. also, add a little more live rock to re-establish your pod population and bacteria that was killed off.

also, hermit crabs seem to be fairly hardy when it comes to copper. i've known of many to live through copper treatments where are other inverts will not.

First Nano

um...i wouldnt want to risk copper of any kind in the set up. If its not too much trouble why not just start out with a new set up? But that is just me. I figure in the long run it might cause some problems. n-chemistry is coordination chemistry. If i understand it correctly,its copper in the bonded ligand form. Its like using EDTA to rid the body of excess metal poisioning. But I could be wrong. its been a while since I took any courses in chem.

Sweet I'll be starting over at some point want to move into the 5.5gal I have sitting around. One guy mention on here that the copper can get into the silicon bonded edges of the glass. So I guess the tanks shot, does that mean the plactic HOB ACmin and heater are tainted to by the copper?

Actually had a hugh algea, and pod bloom after the 4 weeks of treatment that is says last in the water, then ran carbon and water change for a week. Some coriline seems to live but other definitly got bleached. Just the results.

copper will not seep into the silicon, nor will it leach out of your sand bed over time. i've treated many a tank with copper and only used water changes, carbon and access live rock to rid the tank of it. inverts have been fine in all tank 3 weeks after final treatment (may be even earlier but i've never tried)

Archived