SaltCritters.com

Research Paper Topic

Foogoo

Lucky me gets to write a 7-10 page research paper on any topic we want. I was thinking maybe something marine related but don't have any ideas. Any suggestions?

Originally posted by Mnesarchus

How about something related to the decline of coral reefs in the worlds oceans?

and the paradox of decline from civilized runoff (fertilizers) vs. corporate pollution vs. the impact of commercial transshippers for reefkeeping and the raping of LR foundries in Fiji, Tonga and other 3rd World regions for the sake of the high $$$ aquarium trade.

printerdown01

Blasting of the coral reefs in the Philipines. Include a few pics of dynamite blasted reefs and it will make a SERIOUS impact on your audience. Statistics on coral reef destruction in the region due to this type of behavior is all over the place on the net, and would be alarming to just about any audience. Or if you are looking for something more marine life related (and something with a little less of an activist tone) , what about sea-squirts? They are an absolute kick to learn about, quite fascinating creatures as you start to learn more. Oh man, are you going to get some great responces from this board ;). I'm sure everyone on here has a million topics up their sleeves (especially those of us that have written reports on these topics :P -which I'm sure there are over a 100 of us on here!).

ajroahkni  calls the kettle black....

and the paradox of decline from civilized runoff (fertilizers) vs. corporate pollution vs. the impact of commercial transshippers for reefkeeping and the raping of LR foundries in Fiji, Tonga and other 3rd World regions for the sake of the high $$$ aquarium trade.

HEY ! that me !

Uhhh FYI, reef hobby collection is responsible for less than 15 % long term damage to the reefs than dynomite fishing, dredgeing, Calcerous rock escavation as primary source of construction LIME for concrete structures in 3rd world nations, and Polution from overpopulated cities without proper refuse and sanitation facilities.

Uhhhh dousche..... werent you the one "collecting" your own stuff also? you impact a reef and tide pool estautaries too ya know.... or is it ok because its "ONO-LICIOUS" ???

or perhaps you are DEFENDING the collection position and I'm misreading the comparative angle on the suggestion......

I think it is it the former..... : but Ive been wrong before...

Im just calling it as I read it...

the ONLY reason reefing gets a bad rap is cause the media focuses on the story it can SENSATIONALIZE... look at the real Demons to a reef. Sure SOME species of animals are being overfished, but then what isnt..... Japan makes up 82 % of the worlds consumption of fish and seafood..... you would be appaled if you saw some of the ###### I have seen as far as raw numbers of fish pulled in daily.

DO A PAPER ON OVERFISHING FOR THE GLOBAL FOOD MARKET...

ANd RESEARCH IT GOOD ! dont glaze the surface. Make it a political piece that will make people think. Guaronteed to be an "A"

If it helps, I have some links. Send me a PM and I ll post them for all to see.

Dave ESPI has a problem with me, and it has nothing to do w/ your research paper...

Uhhhh dousche..... werent you the one "collecting" your own stuff also? you impact a reef and tide pool estautaries too  ya know.... or is it ok because its "ONO-LICIOUS" ???

I have gotten my own LR/LS and zoos from the ocean. A full 15 lbs of LR and 10 lbs of LS. My impact on the ecosystem is negligible. This winter, the first north swell will do the same thing that I've done with it's first breaking wave. In fact, I've been encouraged by the DAR official to head down to the beach after a winter storm and take whatever LR I can find washed up onto the sand.

The laws were created - not to crack down on people in my situation - but to crack down on the abuses of people who make a business out of "stealing" LR and corals for the aquarium trade. I agree that what I did was wrong - simply because some idiot may have seen me taking my 15 lbs and thought: "Gee, I could come to the beach and take 100 lbs and sell it off for $30/lb and do this every day!" I've also mentioned before that I am seeding some rock w/ my LR and will take my LR back to the sea.

And yes, you are right Dave, that I do impact reef and tide pool estuaries by picking nerites and limpet and spearing fish for personal consumption. It's food - the ocean is a source of food. Hawaiian culture advocates "take only as much as you need." This is something I've grown up living and shall die believing. I feel sorry for you if you can't understand that.

---

Foogoo - I agree w/ Dave on the overfishing paper. It'd be a great topic. Here at home, Hawaiian waters have been devastated by longline fishing boats that come all the way from Japan and catch EVERYTHING that'll go for a hook. On the flip side, there are current aquaculture projects going on - notably here in Hawaii with a fish called Moi - and in Okinawa with tuna, that raise these consumption fish from hatchling to market size (HUGE) in underwater "cages" through a lease agreement w/ respective governments over the use of ocean "property." It's a great topic because you can identify the atrociousness of current overfishing as well as bear light on the relatively new technologies being employed with commercial aquaculture in an ocean setting.

Heck, if we all bought a ton of live rock every year it wouldn't even make a dent in the amount of coral reefs that are dying from unknown causes. (temperature changes? pollution factors? unexplained bacterial bloons? E. Coli is killing reefs in the caribbean, and it's not from sewage runoff but it's flourishing for some unknown reason!)

How about this one... Did you know that the largest source of nitrogen pollution in the Chesapeake Bay estuary is Pennsylvania dairy cattle? The dairy industry keeps cattle alive for years, unlike the meat industry. All of that manure flows into the bay. The water is opaque green from the permanent algae bloom due to the high nutrient levels. Macro algae and underwater plants die for lack of light, then fish & inverts which used to spawn or mature in protected vegetation die off, even the oyster reefs which are the largest natural filter are dying.

Got milk?

Hey, I'm doing a 6-10 page research paper in order to graduate high school. This paper is combined with a project and my project is on marine captive propagation. I plan to propagate many corals, red bubble calerpa, and hopefully Banggai Cardinalfish. My paper is titled "The History of Aquariums and the Benefits of Captive Propagation of Aquatic Specimins" I think the first final draft turned out well and if you want to read it ill send you a copy. I hope it gives some good ideas and you could use my paper as a souce for your.

Capt'n

The rise in CO2 i the global atomshpere is promoting algae that is killing out enitre species of corals, you could write about the problems related to this topic.

In 2050 an estimated 45% of the worlds corals will be extinct because of excess CO2 in the world.:(

Originally posted by Bocephous

Do your paper on the female orgasm, more fun to research.

:woot: Study Buddies ..... "can you help me uhhh...... " rowwwlllll

Okay this is my proposed paper. If anyone has anything to add or contribute please do!

I'm going to write about the decline of coral reefs wordwide. The main topics I want to include:

1) Why, reasons why the reefs might be dying off

runoff (fertilizers)

pollution (ships)

co2 (promoting algae), cyanide, collecting, temperature

dynamite blasting in phillipines, dynamite fishing

dredging, calcerous rock excavation

2)What is being done about it (if anything)

3)What can be done (include a bit on captive propagation)

I thought the overfishing topic was also good but can't see how I could tie it in somehow...

What grade are you in?

Bet you'll get some awesome visuals (you better!!!).

Sounds good. However, if it's a science paper, you should throw out your Hypothesis.

John

Archived