Cultivated Reef

New Pics - Diatoms down

Mnesarchus

Well here is my tank post-diatom meltdown.. any comments? My sand used to be covered in brownish dusty stuff, as did my front glass. The rock still has a little on it, but it is dying down nicely.

did you buy that feather duster or did he come with the rock? That's the largest white feather duster I've ever seen.

How many snails do you have, I see one? I've watched my astreans suck up diatoms like a hoover. I keep 12 in my 29gal and 6 in my 10gal. I've been watching my diatom problem get eaten before my eyes. Emerald crabs and scooter blenny's can eat and stir up the live sand. Why work hard when you can have something else do the work for you. Plus there fun to watch.

Originally posted by SoS

did you buy that feather duster or did he come with the rock?   That's the largest white feather duster I've ever seen.

How many snails do you have, I see one?  

I bought the feather duster for about $8! He's the whitest I've seen too. Yeah I plan to get an emerald crab. I have 6 Turbo's and 3 Bumblebees, but I want to get more diverse snails (some Ceriths and Astreas).

I have 5 bumblebee's and they seem to be very nocturnal I rarely see them and there mouths are so small I never see any result of there cleaning.

BTW, Great find with that featherduster for $8 I always check the leftovers and junk tanks at my LFS they usually have some neat little stuff for nano's if you look. I've got Neon Green Button Polpys for free that were growing on the a tiny bit of rock. Well maybe not free he knows I'm one of his best customers. I'm putting his children through there choice of Ivy league schools.

X)

Archived