SaltCritters.com

Acan polyp and zoanthids on same rock.

EnFuego

Well I originally thought that these were more acan lord polyps coming off of this one polyp (they are facing the back of the tank, so it was hard to see, and they are soooo close to the lord polyp that I thought it was the only option). From looking at it, apparently i have two small zoanthid polyps on the rock that my acan lord frag is on. Can I just use a knife to cut them off without damaging the lord frag, and put them onto another rock? Here are some pictures so you can see what I'm talking about...

Acan Lord Polyp:

acan1.jpg

Side shot where you can see the side of the zoanthid polyp:

acan2.jpg

I moved the rock around to get a full shot of the zoanthid polyp. There is actually another tiny polyp (total of 2) also extremely close to the lord polyp:

acan9.jpg

Let me know what I should do. Thanks.

-Mark

I should think you would be fine using a small sharp knife and doing a swift cut. I've done a similar procedure, although never with a lord frag. They'll just keep growing if you don't, and I can't think of any less abrasive way to do it;)

Most Mussids are fairly aggressive corals..I'd be surprised if it didn't just outcompete the zoanthids...

Cheers,

Fred

Archived