Coral Vue Hydros

50/50 bulb question

RockinAR

What exactly is the purpose of a 50/50 bulb? I was thinking of putting one in my Eclipse but am not real sure why I should. I just thought it might make my tank not look so "white" and add a little flavor to it. All I have is LS with LR and 1 CBS. I have no plans for any fish or corals. Would the 50/50 do anything for my corilline (sp?) algae? I saw someone say that this algae does not like bright lights and a dimmer light might actually help.

Input?

All that a 50/50 bulb consists of is 50% daylight and 50% actinic light in one bulb. IMO/IME is seems that coraline grows better under lower light. Also coraline algae needs calcium (some say that it needs some trace elements too). Btw, what kind/type of lights do you have now?

I just have a Eclipse 12 tank with the fluorescent bulb that came with it. I don't want any retro PC kits and stuff cause I don't want any corals. I just want some good looking live rock and some inverts in my tank. Hellolights has a 50/50 compact 13w light for my tank and I thought I might get one.

The bulb your tank came with is likely in the 6500K range. Most 50/50 bulbs are half 10000K and half actinic. The 10000K part will be whiter than what you're used to, and the actinic part will be blue. I think you'd be happy with the switch.

Archived