ReefCleaners.org

saw this thing last night, scary stuff.....

748S911

saw this thing looks like the normal bristle worm but w/antenas at the tip of the head, pretty gross stuff, also very red. should i be worried about this type of bristle worm? i saw him come out of a rock as soon as the lights cut out, and the moon lights came on. it also moved alot faster than the normal bristle worm. any help would great!!!

shutterbuggy

I am by no means an expert on worm identification, but based on your description of it, particularly the fact that it had antena, I would hazard a guess and say Eunice worm. Definately not reef safe! Do a search, or check out:

www.oregonreef.com

Be sure to click on "The Worm Incident" on the left hand side of his page. Good luck!

yeah your probably right, it does look like eunice worm, i wonder how ima trap this sob. what works? thanx shutterbuggy, i knew that something wasnt right w/this worm. its still small for now. Until he gets to my zoos or i read some even eat sps! wich would totally suck, and small shrooms. defintely freaky looking!!!!

shutterbuggy

You may want to check with Tigahboy. He had a eunice worm and after some time was able to get rid of it, but I am not sure how he did so. If you are able to track the worm down to a particular piece of LR, you could isolate it and dip it in some carbonated water to irritate the worm and have it evacuate the rock. But I don't know how tried and true this method is. Search around, I am sure that there must be some trapping ideas on this site. Again good luck!

This is definitely a eucinid worm. I have a 6" one in my nano. I don't see any problems with him other than pulling small shells and debris towards his hole in the rock. I have many sps's, polyps, shrooms, etc. within striking distance and I've never seen him touch them. I think he's pretty cool. Just keep him around unless he starts destroying things. Unfortunately, I have never seen or heard of an easy removal with this guy...

Hmmmmm - my sister uses a turkey baster and sucks them out of the tank, then FLUSH! Works great for me too with those bristle worms! I just don't trust them!!

Archived